Swashbuckling Under Neon Lights in a Grimdark Futuristic City with Tons of D20s

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
I like self-discipline, it's not something imposed but chosen, it's custom made, only those who conceive it can understand its meaning.
When I'm in crisis it's time to invent a new discipline.
You will find your discipline, you have the desire and you have the strength :love:

Sólveig

Pirate from Cabudare - Venezuela
Pronouns: She/Her
"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I ended up writing the night before. And yesterday was D&D day.

This is finally it. We left it off before the BBEG fight. I almost cried during our last moments together, plus the unexpected return of a favorite character back at the table.

Other than that, it was a pretty boring day. I ended up skipping the night routine because I felt so tired all of the sudden. I still do right now. Like I said, this year's holidays hadn't been good.

December 25th, 2022 - Yule 6
Kickboxing: Day 93

Morning Routine:
:v: The Right Side + 10 Decline Push-ups
:v: Sól Salutation - LVL I +EC
:v: Daily Dare: 5 Minutes Meditation +EC
Count: 972 - 968 +EC

Night Routine:
:x: Mani Salutation - 1 Set
:x: Five Rites
:x: Virasana Meditation
:v: Daily Gratitude
:v: Counting Victories
:x: Get to Bed on Time

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 25 +Megaset
Re-badging on January: Fireheart
Next Badge: Carbon & Dust

Workouts:
:x: 100 Burpees +EC
:v: WoD: Christmas Rockout +Megaset
:x: Daily Walk
:x: Shuffle Dance! (#1, #2, #3)

Challenges:
Awaiting January: Yoga Abs
Awaiting February: 1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:
:x: Nifty 350
:x: Furious 500
:x: Nightcap 200

:x: 1500 Words Daily!

Reading progress:

:x: Ringworld - 5%
:x: The Colour of Magic

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No sleight of hand, cardistry, or card magic
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Slowly... steady... recovery is coming...

Another day with some writing done. It was hard to start, but once I laid out everything, it all started to fall naturally. The hardest part is to begin, especially with the first line. I noticed that I always end up writing the first line over, and over, and over... I should use Ghostwriter and enable the Hemingway function, but if it isn't on paper, my writing is always messy. My brain always comes up for ideas for later, or for something better than what I had, and I end up comparing which situation is better than the other, and... it's like I'm editing at the same time I write, and anything I try to get out of it is futile.

But, at least, I got something done. I wrote down more ideas so they won't get lost, I did some worldbuilding, and laid the outline of an entire short story, plus I'm writing it, scene by scene, following the list of the outline. I stopped to post the log here, so that I can keep writing next.

And, of course, I am recovering. Self-discipline. It's the only way out. 100 Burpees, done. Not counting it as a Kickboxing day, but combat workout, also done. I'm following the Fighter TP again, which is great. I felt a bit tired working out, though. I should have drank a cup of coffee before I started, but I managed to get the job done.

Feels good to have a productive day...

December 26th, 2022 - Yule 7

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Plank Hold +EC
Count: 973 - 969 +EC

Night Routine:
:v: Mani Salutation - 1 Set
:v: Five Rites
:v: Virasana Meditation

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 26 +Megaset

Workouts:
:v: 100 Burpees +EC
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Eye of the Tiger - LVL III +EC
:v: Monday +EC
:v: Boxer Tendon Strength +EC

Challenges:

Writing progress:
:v: Nifty 350
:v: Furious 500
:v: Nightcap 200

:v: 1500 Words Daily!

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
It's over. We planned out our final session for today, and we did it: we ended our first campaign, from 1 to 20, today. We fought the BBEG, fell unconscious two times, almost faced a TPK...

Only one PC fell. The DMPC sacrificed herself for the others. I thought they weren't going to take her body with them, but they did. It was very emotional the whole ordeal too. There was a big moment of "awkward" silence on the table when the remaining living characters came back to the material plane, but I think it was more about the shock as to they weren't expecting that to happen. Everyone was on the brink of tears, including me. I don't know how I held my composture, but as I tore out my character sheet, I knew that it was all over. I already backed her up, though. Who knows if I end up recycling her for something else? I can't believe how I managed to give her the development she deserved at the same time as I kept track of the world, and the BBEG's schemes, since the BBEG was pretty much a greater-scope villain, until one major NPC died.

But we finished. I guess The World is Saved fits the moment.

I'm stepping out the DM screen for the moment, as one of the other players at the table wants to DM next. One campaign is down, but more stories are coming up next. Like I said when I set up this arc, I learned a lot. And I think I can do better writing from now on.

December 27th, 2022 - Yule 8

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Knee-to-elbows +EC
Count: 974 - 970 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: Day 27 +Megaset

Workouts:

Challenges:

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I'm going to bed now. I planned on writing tonight, but I don't feel much like it, if I'm being honest.

What I do have is an idea for streamlining everything. Then, I had doubts about it. Is not a question of can I or can't I, but rather a should I or shouldn't I. And the answer is that it works, so I should. I was going to bring that up to someone who reads me, and I'll still bring it to them, but after realizing that there's not one, but four videogames that actually run on that idea, I knew that it works.

This means retconning everything again. Thankfully, though, is not like I developed everything. I need to cut things, and those things that I developed (which aren't that many, to be honest) can be put in place by pretty much applying a coat of paint over it. It's a very crazy idea; it looked impossible... but it was already done in the past, and it worked... more than once, now that I think about it. There's more than four videogames that ran upon that.

My reasons for retconning everything are to simplify everything. There's no need to make this gargantuan world and travel all over it to make good fantasy, whatever the flavor (high, urban, low, epic, sword & sorcery, grimdark...). Shadowrun's Runs, World of Darkness' Chronicles... they usually take place in one city. Hell, Shadowrun: Dragonfall takes place in only a part of Berlin, and the story is Epic Fantasy with a coat of Cyberpunk intrigue painted on top. Even Planescape: Torment takes place in one city. Why is it that High Fantasy stories need to bloat everything up with travel, and settlements? Don't mention "adventure," don't even mention it. If I learned something about all of the things that I mentioned, plus other books and stories that are not fantasy, is that adventure doesn't require an entire world to explore.

Call me lazy, but to me everything works better by simplifying the world rather than bloating it up with places that I'm completely aware that I won't explore ever, lore that will be meaningless to any story... If it isn't necessary, and is irrelevant, why should I write it down?

Anyway, rant's over. I did finish Fit Yule today, a decision that I thought for a while after doing Day 28. I got inspired, and went all the way through to Day 31. I also did 100 Burpees, managing to increase the reps on the first set. If I keep doing more than 25 for a while, it means that I have more resistance. Maybe I'll end up doing the 100 without stopping, which would mean that I could probably try to set a new record for a new PB. It's already 100, so there might be the possibility of going over 100? There might even be the possibility of increasing the numbers from 100 to 150?

Ok, 150 it's too much for a day, though... maybe future me would read this and say "yeah, and now it's too little." I don't know. I don't know what the future will bring, but I have hopes of keep doing Burpees for a while, more so if I'm increasing the reps on the first set.

Bah, what am I saying? I've done Death by Burpees at LVL III, which totals for 200 Burpees. Thing is... Death by Burpees on a semi-daily basis sounds like way too much... but then I could do it? Like I see myself being crazy enough to actually do it. What am I even saying? 1000 Push-ups is in my plans for next year, of course I might end up doing it.

Enough rambling. Fit Yule is done. No writing today, even though there should have been some writing... I don't know what else to say.

December 28th, 2022 - Yule 9

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Squat Hops on the Spot +EC
Count: 975 - 971 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Fit Yule: :completed: Day 28, Day 29, Day 30, Day 31 +Megaset :star:

Workouts:
50 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees

Challenges:

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Mianevem

Valkyrie from Budapest, Hungary
Why is it that High Fantasy stories need to bloat everything up with travel, and settlements?
I guess that's still Tolkien's influence who could never get tired of inventing and developing his world. But to him, the inventing itself was the goal, not the end result (he rarely even finished anything). If ending up in a rabbit hole isn't what you want, than it makes perfect sense to streamline things.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@Sif_Shepard @Fremen Thanks! :welcome:

I guess that's still Tolkien's influence who could never get tired of inventing and developing his world. But to him, the inventing itself was the goal, not the end result (he rarely even finished anything). If ending up in a rabbit hole isn't what you want, than it makes perfect sense to streamline things.

“J.R.R. Tolkien has become a sort of mountain, appearing in all subsequent fantasy in the way that Mt. Fuji appears so often in Japanese prints. Sometimes it’s big and up close. Sometimes it’s a shape on the horizon. Sometimes it’s not there at all, which means that the artist either has made a deliberate decision against the mountain, which is interesting in itself, or is in fact standing on Mt. Fuji” -- Terry Pratchett

See, this is why I love Tolkien as much as I hate him. Inventing itself being the goal is the main problem, and it's why I end up down the rabbit hole and coming out feeling miserable: there is not a real, grounded, or solid objective, purpose, or goal behind it. It's like having this project to build a theme park with all these crazy rides, but all you do is buy plots and plots of land, without placing at least one trash can in the corner. What is the point on making these huge universes if, at the end of the day, the majority of it won't be explored? Of course, I do know that it's good to have things in place... "just in case," but there's no point in making an entire Earth-9³ if everything will take place in Western-Las Vegas. So much lore is wasted, even if it is brought up, because sometimes, what's brought up is a fragment that is the size of an atom, and the rest will remain uncovered. It is far much better to leave some parts of the universe open-ended and unexplored. Sometimes, not knowing is much better than knowing.

This is an issue that happens with worldbuilding before writing the story. The other approach is what Terry Pratchett did with Discworld, and that's worldbuilding on the go. I did that too, but it feels more like treading in the dark than anything. I end up doing a mixture of both, so that it feels like I know that place, but there's uncharted territory that I can explore.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Break day. I'm going to do some writing tonight.

I did increase my Burpee rep count, so much so that I ended up dividing the thing in two sets rather than three or four. I'm sticking with Burpees until the new year, which will begin with Fireheart, Yoga Abs... and maybe The Guardian. I did create a Monk today to represent myself fighting all those Goblins on the side quest, though I ran the numbers and... it seems the character will be dead in two hits (mob rule). I'll skip the dice roll, though. Let's say if I stop for a break, I'll roll damage for that hit. Mob rule, so no rolling for hits, but I won't be using average damage either. I'll roll it, even if it means max damage. I only have 10 HP anyway...

The reason she's squishy it's because I rolled her up at Level 1. They are all squishy at Level 1.

December 29th, 2022 - Yule 10

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 50 Lunge Punches +EC
Count: 976 - 972 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
Awaiting January: Re-badge - Fireheart
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
60 Full Burpees
40 Full Burpees
:v: Daily Walk

Challenges:
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups
The Guardian

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Damnit, I forgot to post last night. I got engrossed with other things.

Oh well, at least there was an attempt on writing... And I did write a little.

Now, I didn't do much yesterday. And I'm not sure about today. I woke up with ideas in my head, but I can't put it on paper right now.

Anyway, there's a new spot in the Writing column. I'll try to write a fake news article for a pretend-crime section of a newspaper, every day. The goal is to collect as many as I can for them, so that I can later use them as prompts for the detective shorts I do for fun. I do want to nail the format of a murder mystery in the short form, but I always find myself stuck in longer stories. Lawrence Block's Enough Rope features more crime shorts than actual police procedural. All I have to go by is Michael Connelly's Switchblade, so any recommendations are welcome, other than Doyle's and Poe's, of course.

December 30th, 2022 - Yule 11

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 20 Urdhva Mukha / Adho Mukha Svanasana +EC
Count: 977 - 973 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
Awaiting January: Re-badge - Fireheart
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
50 Full Burpees
50 Full Burpees

Challenges:
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups
The Guardian

Writing progress:
:x: News Column 900

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Happy New Year
:fireworks:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Alright, let's post this right now, because I may forgot later. First of all: Happy New Year, even though it's not 2023 yet. Only four hours left.

I already kicked it off the final fitness day by adding one day more to the Kickboxing count, starting out the Yoga Abs and The Guardian challenge, as well as Fireheart. I did the WoD, and worked out a pretty good sweat in one hour. I even did the Night Routine as cooldown, so that I don't have anything left to do...

Except writing. I haven't written as of yet. Family is visiting, I took a long nap in the afternoon... It's fine, though. I can do it now, as much as I can.

I don't really have much words upon the year. Maybe later I'll reflect on it, take some notes, post what I think is worthy to be put on here... All I know is that I realized I completed the quest I set upon back when I started my journey. I reached the videogame fitspiration, but it was the wrong character. I thought I'd be looking like Lara Croft by now, but I ended up more like Nitara than anything. I'm not complaining, though. I'm still proud about it. Back when I started, I thought not much of it, and I blindly pursued the goal, even though I realistically knew I wouldn't reach that for obvious reasons, but realizing how different I look today from before brings me joy, and makes me laugh on how stupid I was five years ago.

Anyway, 2022 was alright. Better than 2021 and 2020, that's for sure, but it was still a very difficult year. I have high hopes now, considering that I found what are the things that I can fix, and what are those that I can't. Motivation is not the problem, discipline is the issue, and this year I've been very lazy, a fact that I've been brought up yesterday; that's why I added the newspaper column on the writing part.

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I hope for good things now.

December 31st, 2022 - Yule 12
Kickboxing: Day 94

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Vrksasana +EC
Count: 978 - 974 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 1 - LVL III +Rest between levels (1 minute)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
70 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees w/Jump Knee-Tuck / Burpee Queen +EC
:v: WoD: The Final Countdown - LVL III +EC +Rest between levels

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 1
:v: The Guardian: Day 1 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:
:v: News Column 900

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
In comparison with the previous years, 2022 was an improvement. Nevertheless, just because it had a few ups doesn't negate the major downs, and believe me, quitting after one period of the school year, is a big low. It's funny. The first half of the year was going all good. Then, after I graduated, it went downhill. I thought I was bouncing back, but it didn't happen.

Discipline. That is the thing that I lacked the most. Since the pandemic begun, all the discipline that I had went down the toilet, and I didn't do anything to bring it back. That has to change, and I should make myself accountable for it. It's seriously time to stop f*cking about and do things the way I should. I have everything at my disposal, it's just that I find it very hard to begin, and I end up distracting myself with other things. I'm going down the road of the rookie once again.

This has to stop. I should be a professional by this point. Hell, when I realized I reached one of my fitness goals that I jokingly put on myself back at the end of 2017, I saw that I can do things with enough discipline and perseverance.

Of course, being a professional, is not about working hard, but working smart. The advice that I always tell people who are independent artists is that they shouldn't behave to themselves like the stereotypical office boss, overwhelming themselves with work and more work, thinking that having lots of things to do will force them to do faster. No. It's all about working smart. Self-sacrifice to achieve a goal is counter-productive. Organization is the key to it. Planning is the best tool to have.

The example I always put on is the one I've learned from a seamstress. Her workshop is organized in the way that it works like a one-manned factory. So, back in 2019, when the electricty was at its worst, she managed to divide her work in two categories: the work that she needs electricity for, and the work that she does not. When the power was on, she stayed at the sewing machines, and when it was off, she went to the table, drawing patterns, cutting fabric, putting pieces together, sewing by hand... And since she was in love with her work, she would always watch fashion shows, read magazines about fashion, and browse Pinterest and Youtube for tutorials and inspiration.

And now that I wrote that, I'm suddenly thinking about the renaissance artists. Works like the Sistine Chapel Ceiling took years to do, and did renaissance artists die of hunger? I don't think so. They always had work at hand. Organization. While they worked on the longer stuff, they also did drawings that didn't take long, and sold them for profit, which was good practice for them too.

See what I mean? Neither of them were overwhelmed. They were busy, for sure, but not overwhelmed with work. Knowing the market is not good enough. You should also know yourself.

There's also the enjoyment aspect of it, but that's not a big issue. If you are self-employed, it is likely because you're striving to work in something that brings you the catharsis that other jobs didn't bring. When I teach, I always feel good, in the same vein I feel good after finishing a story, or a drawing, or a piece of music, or even dancing. That's always the case, whether it is in a school context, or in private classes.

And, of course, and this is more for creative professions, there are moments in which a small break is necesary. One of the reasons that writer's block always comes it's due to exhaustion. I had that happen to me every single time, and I've known other writers to go through the same. I also found out that musicians and artists have a similar thing. Normally, a one-day or two-days break is enough to reset. I don't know if this happens in other creative professions, or outside the artistic world, but if it does, then it's probably the same treatment.

Anyway, my problem is not that. My problem is procrastinating. Starting to do the thing than doing it now is easier said than done. I tried many things, but the best that worked out is keeping myself accountable. Responsability is what destroys my procrastination. This, however, was not the reason I started logging my workouts. I did it because I wanted to track my progress and do comparisons of the struggles I went through, and how the fitness marathon has shaped me compared to whom I used to be. By pure serendipity, it has worked in keeping myself accountable. I think I should do the same for writing. Maybe I would log my work on Bardic Circle or create my own writing log in Playground? I have no idea, but this is something I should sort out.

I also figured it out to write at the same time as I play TTRPGs solo: play the game, log everything that happens as bullet points, and sketch some of the prose (like awesome sentences or dialog) in a very simple manner. It's pretty much plotting, with a random twist to it. Then, I would go back to it, and use those results as the building blocks for longer projects. It's pretty much the same approach I'm doing with the fake news clips; something that I'm very surprised it worked.

Anyway, this also counts as writing. And I haven't figured out many Fitness goals for the year. I added a new counter on my spreadsheet for dancing days in the year, in a similar vein to the Kickboxing days. I guess there are a couple of things that I want to do, and I know how to do them:

• Take some of the training outside, especially the combat training. The local parks are a good place to work on combat days, especially when there's a lot of kicks on them. I can even build my own kick practices and bring the work outside.
  • Work on flexibility. I should bring back flexibility workouts during cooldowns, or do some more yoga.
  • Work on abs. Same as above, but this can be done in days where I don't use my legs as much.
  • Pick belly dance back up. Easy: replace shuffle dance with belly dance on... 'rest' days.

Overall, it sounds like I must divide my training in days with Upper Body and days with Lower Body. I can do it with the Fighter TP. Strength days can also work as Ab days, while the Combat Days can be for Flexibility, and HIIT/Cardio days can be either one of them. Let's say if I do something like Fab Abs, it's Ab day, but if I do something like Run & Gun, it's Flexibility day.

All in all, sounds like I should reorganize my posts. No matter. It will all work out in the end.

There's only one goal for this year. As long as I keep working on it, everything that I put in place in my life project will fall into place. The goal is very simple; three words only:

NO. MORE. PROCRASTINATING.

Happy 2023, everyone! :fireworks:

E: Sorry if there's a lot of edits. I didn't proof read this before posting; I got too excited.

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
A pretty good start, even though I slept until late. Putting things written out, as I stated on the previous post, did help. I haven't written out the way I wanted, but I took some notes about some short things I'd like to do, and tomorrow I'll start plotting some more stuff too. I should also plan out a session for my urban fantasy campaign, and another one for my regular medieval high fantasy campaign. I can switch between both without problem; they are meant to be episodic, and one of them will be short (starting at 3rd, ending at around 12th tops).

There are some experiments that I need to run. But for now, I'll write some short before bed.

I danced, even though it was only Running Man during some rests. I'll count it anyway. I focused more on doing Fireheart.

Another day without facing Goblins. Since I'm doing Fireheart too, I decided to add 10 XP to the Monk's character sheet, so counting yesterday, she's at 20 XP now. As soon as I face Goblins, I'll add the experience according to the stat block found in 5e's SRD. CR 1/4, so that means 50 XP per Goblin. I still haven't figured out the tradition she should take, though. Way of the Open Hand, or Way of the Four Elements, which is found in the PHB. I thought it was on the SRD.

January 1st, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 95

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 50 Knee-to-elbows +EC
Count: 979 - 975 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 2 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Winter is Here +EC
:v: Shuffle Dance! (#1, #2, #3)
:x: Belly Dance
Dancing Days: 1

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 2
:v: The Guardian: Day 2 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:
:x: News Column 900 Max

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Today... Today was a full day. I was stuck in writing, but I got something done, although it wasn't what I had in mind.

Well, I'm taking progress in any way that I can. The idea is to not procrastinate, something that it's much easier said than done. Nevertheless, I did have some procrastination, so I should take account into that.

At noon, we got a visit. A local musician; not a young person. I was supposed to help him out with some tech stuff, but there was nothing I could do. Nevertheless, he asked me if I could borrow him the cuatro, so I brought it up with him. He sang a song. Next thing I know, I went back to my room, grabbed my guitar, and joined in an unexpected 20 minute jam lead by him. I got lost really easy; he plays... so damn fast! And I'm not used to anything other than fingerstyle, something that I could rock out far better than chords. I'm not going to lie, it was awesome that this happened, even though my performance was the worst I've given.

No dancing today. In fact, the workout got heavier because I was interrupted in the middle of it to help move a couple of huge shelves that we're putting up for sale. I didn't mind that I was interrupted. If we don't bring those out today, we'll never bring those out, so I preferred to do it right away instead of saying no and keep going. Thankfully, I did my Burpees by that time. Oddly enough, it's been the third day in a row in which everything is clear on The Guardian. Either the RNG is broken, or I'm "lucky" to have no Goblins storming the castle? I expected more fighting, to be honest...

Another day off. Easy workout, yet deceivingly tiring.

January 2nd, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 96

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Cossack Squats +EC
Count: 980 - 976 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 3 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
40 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
:v: One Kick (Side Kick) - LVL III +EC +Rest between levels

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 3
:v: The Guardian: Day 3 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Unexpected 20 minute jam session with a local musician

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@Mianevem 4th day. All is clear. The RNG is broken, most likely.

I almost deleted my work from yesterday. The idea is fine, but I'm brute forcing through it so badly that I feel like there's no point on keep developing it. I wanted to delete it, and was close to do so, but I decided to put it away and let it rest. I might come back to it for something completely different later on. And I woke up today with a better way to streamline my work.

I'll give it a try once I'm done posting here. That's why I didn't post last night. In fact, I went to bed earlier. Writing got me tired.

Took a rest day too. No Burpees, no WoD, nothing. Only writing, and Fireheart, which I didn't put much effort like I should have. I preferred to skip the Burpees because my body asked for it. I can do them today, though. It is HIIT/Cardio day, after all.

January 3rd, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 97

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 20 Raised Leg Push-ups +EC
Count: 981 - 977 +EC

Night Routine:
:v: Get to Bed on Time

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 4 - LVL III +1 Minute Rest (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 4
:v: The Guardian: Day 4 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Something's wrong within me. It usually takes me less than two hours to finish up a D&D session (without making NPC stat blocks if needed), but this one took me two days, and I haven't even done the stat blocks. There is something inside me that is freezing me as I write. I noticed that I'll be in the middle of something, and then I just... freeze.

Self-doubt, impostor syndrome... all of that settles in, and I end up giving up, even if I am doing good, or I am completely aware that I'm doing a good run. It's like I forget all about it, like there's nothing but blank in front of me, no matter how immersed am I, whether it is inside the daily life of people in a shadowrunny neon dystopia, following the steps as my detective solves the murder mystery of the week, pirates swasbuckling on the high fantasy caribbean, or fighting the legions of evil in an apocalyptic grimdark world... Whenever I'm close to the good part, the one that is the most interesting... I blank completely.

Is not an outline issue. I have outlines that are from the most specific to the most vague, and it all ends up the same.

There are two theories: distractions, and insecurity. Ironically enough, I am not sure about either of them. All I know is that this started when my hard drive broke, and if it wasn't for one of my beta readers, I'd consider everything lost, and quit writing altogether. It's the second time it happened, and I promised myself to quit when I lose it all.

But I'm digressing. Obsidian was really good at helping me focus. Manuskript, though, although it helps me to keep everything organized, is not really the same. Same thing with Ghostwriter. Ghostwriter is good, but is not Obsidian, and many functions that I used from Obsidian aren't present. It's a word processor, not a word processor + wiki. I tried for so long looking for alternatives to Obsidian, yet none of them are x86, and those that are x86, are horrible. AntiX comes with CherryTree, which is more like an IDE rather than a word processor; all that's lacking it's the ability to compile codes. While CherryTree does process Markdown, the Markdown code is completely visible, which is good, I like the code to be visible. But the way CherryTree does it is horrible. Like I said, it's an IDE, not a word processor. Ghostwriter and Manuskript at least give a live preview, while Obsidian does it perfectly, but CherryTree... It feels like I'm nitpicking, but I feel justified in the fact that I need the software to be comfortable, and Obsidian was the best option I had available.

I could go back to LibreOffice, but LibreOffice is far better for formatting rather than writing. Besides, for D&D sessions, Markdown files are the best. In fact, the Markdown code is the best thing for it, hands down. Doing tables had never been so easy with Markdown, and I regularly use them to make DCs, random encounters... hell, even the Ability Score from homebrew NPCs are well done using Markdown code! The entire stat block is actually really, really good. But how good? Let's say it's like making them with Scribus. Canva. or InDesign, but making them like it's straight out of a 5e book.

It could also be that. I found the best software for me to write almost like writing on paper, and I lost it because I am not using Windows anymore, and my computer doesn't have an x64 processor. It's painful, but what else can I do? My desktop has been dead for a while.

Anyway, I was going to do Run & Gun, but I resorted to Walk, Run, Repeat because Run & Gun was... a bit overkill. I had a few DOMS on my arms, so I took it slow. But I did throw the DAREdice, and rolled an interesting Nat 20 on Push-ups. Another day without finding Goblins, so the Tiefling Monk keeps training. 50 XP. Only 250 XP left for her to level up. I'll make her the Way of the Four Elements. I'll save that character to play with some other time.

If I'm posting today and not last night it's because my Wi-Fi thought it was a great idea to do an EMP simulacrum, as if it will be hit by one of those EMP grenades from Deus Ex soon.

January 4th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 98

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Toe Taps +EC
Count: 982 - 978 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 5 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
40 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
:v: Walk, Run, Repeat - LVL III +EC
:v: Hamstring Stretch
:v: DAREdice: 20 Push-ups

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 5
:v: The Guardian: Day 5 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

oneironaut

Alchemist from Astral Sea
"Are you dreaming?"
Self-doubt, impostor syndrome... all of that settles in, and I end up giving up, even if I am doing good, or I am completely aware that I'm doing a good run.
For me, impostor syndrome never goes away. It oscillates up and down and has the same effect on me of freezing me in my tracks. Some of the few things that help me are honestly checking in w/ my peers, admitting I feel doubtful out loud somewhere, or reflecting on major victories in my life. When it's bad though it's like a brutal cycle of self sabotage and also sometimes feels like fear of success.

I've lost a ton of creative work twice in my life. Once was a hard drive crash that took all of my original music recordings and the second I issued a bad SQL command on a database that had my creative work and other people's. I quit music and wish I hadn't (though my life is ok regardless). The SQL thing was more complicated but in the end it made me more careful and a lot more serious about fail-safes and backups (helpful as a person that lives and works on a computer).

Regardless of where it's coming from I hope this passes for you and know that everyone that I look up to and trust has some flavor of impostor syndrome.

Kanary

Amazon Pronouns: she/her
"For the Light! For Victory! For Cake!"
I'm sorry about the imposter syndrome and self-doubt. I know how that can eat away at the corners until suddenly, bam! I'm telling myself how much I suck.

I think you're awesome and your games sound like the most fun. :gheart:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@oneironaut Sorry to hear that you lost your music recordings. And I feel the same, impostor syndrome is something that never goes away. I just don't know why this time is so crippling, but I guess there's no other way but working through it.

@Kanary I always hope they are. As a GM, I'm not too keen on rules lawyers, and I always end up using the rule of cool. I'm a power player, so I like to have powered up players facing hard challenges, which is pretty much what Saints Row IV is all about.

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Can you try Scrivener? Don't know if that's suitable for what you have, but I'm finding it an excellent programme.
Don't give up, though. Perhaps you just need a bit of a pause, or perhaps it's the other way around and you really have to push through whatever is blocking you. Just - don't give up.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Can you try Scrivener? Don't know if that's suitable for what you have, but I'm finding it an excellent programme.
Don't give up, though. Perhaps you just need a bit of a pause, or perhaps it's the other way around and you really have to push through whatever is blocking you. Just - don't give up.

Well, this is been going on for a year now, so a pause is not exactly what I need.

I already tried Scrivener, and it isn't for me. Way too many functions that are too distracting. Besides, there are two more pieces of software for Windows that are better for writing than Scrivener: yWriter5 and FreeWriter. They are way more streamlined and specilized in fiction, as is, and I used them both before moving to Obsidian. I remember doing my first bits of police procedural in yWriter5, and did a full serial in FreeWriter without any trouble. I can't use any of those now that I'm in Linux though, and I don't want to put the hardware through extra strain by running up Mono or Wine. Besides, if I'm going to use Wine for any of those two, why not using it for Obsidian? Then again, hardware...

Funny thing, Scrivener was the first alternative I found for writing stuff, and I reluctantly used it... until a nasty virus forced me to format. The good side is that Scrivener went away, and I went back to Microsoft Word. The downside: I had to start from scratch. Everything I've done was lost. I barely remember a few things, and some of those lost ideas ended up being recycled. I think I reshaped one of them and have it shelved somewhere, so now it is something completely different of what it used to be. And the other idea... I'll probably apply it in the future, since it is still in my head, and jotted down as a thing to do in the future.

I'm rambling a lot today, sorry!

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Please, do me good on this one...

Ok, here's some context: I've finally faced 100 Goblins on the Guardian. As you may know, I'm doing my own campaign with The Guardian, in which every day is a new bite-sized aventure, which has been only training a downtime for the past six days... Then, 100 Goblins today, so finally, I was able to play. Aside from doing 100 Punches on the workout, I also placed the combat. Thing is 100 Goblins take so long, so I had to streamline the combat to the point in which I no longer rolled dice to hit; pretty much doing something similar to the second option from this video, also adding the Handling Mobs rules from the Dungeon Master's Guide:

And because I was playing with a Monk at 1st Level facing 100 Goblins, I knew she wouldn't have any possibilities for surviving. Therefore, I gave her three NPCs to accompany her on combat. In this session, she ended up earning enough experience to get her to 3rd level, so she unlocked the Way of the Four Elements already.

So, why am I saying "do me good on this one"? Because I also generated her backstory randomly. Thing is, I haven't written anything. I only put in place the notes from the table, and all that remains is connecting the dots, so I did the same with today's session facing the goblins: taking notes about what I'm supposed to do, and why is she defending that castle. Since I'm struggling with writing at the moment, I hope that this outline doesn't stop me dead on my tracks as I write, and I do hope to place the entire story here, without all the math and streamlined in such a way that it feels more like watching a martial arts movie, which means I'm not going to narrate each time I faced a Goblin single handedly.

I skipped the Burpees today because I didn't feel like doing them on a Strength day. I ended up doing something different than usual. I'm not ticking off another kickboxing day, because most combat was Punches and numbers. But, at least, I'm putting some numbers in words written today. It might be an outline, but progress is progress.

January 5th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 98

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds One Arm Plank +EC
Count: 983 - 979 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 6 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: Work of Art - LVL III +30 Seconds Rest
:v: DAREdice: 20 Lunges

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 6
:v: The Guardian: Day 6 - 100 Goblins (1438 XP - Reached 3rd Level!)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well now, I didn't write. Well, is not like I wasn't doing anything related to it. I was reorganizing everything, again. I decided to stop using Manuskript. I can't stand the interface and how much it sucks, no matter the way I set it up. It forces me to go full screen, which would be good if it wasn't because the navigation between the Markdown files on fullscreen is so awful I'd rather use the terminal. Besides, I can't organize the Markdown files without triggering a bug that actually creates a duplicate of the file I'm trying to move, and at the same time, deleting the other file I'm trying to put on below. Sounds weird written out. And the fact that it doesn't have a preview to see if the Markdown code isn't weird at some parts...

I'm sticking with Ghostwriter. At least I can preview in any case I need to make tables.

So, no writing. More like organizing stuff, renaming files, doing transcriptions... I wanted to write, but I didn't know how to start one of my prompts. It doesn't matter anyway. I was tired last night, I can do it today.

The most creative thing I did was modifying some NPC stat blocks from the Monster Manual to create a Necromancer Boss and change the weapons to more modern stuff. It's Urban Fantasy, after all, and we're all enjoying it.

January 6th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 99

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Raised Leg Swings +EC
Count: 984 - 980 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 7 - LVL III +1-min rest between levels (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
50 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: Hamstring Stretch
:v: DAREdice: 12 Sit-ups

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 7
:v: The Guardian: Day 7 - All is clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I'm reading now. It actually helps. Maybe that's what I needed: to find the time to read.

I'm going for short stories because I'm not comitting to a book yet. I want to carry on with Ringworld and start Colour of Magic again, though. It's been a while. However, I want to read some short stories first, to dip my toes into the English language once again. Writing in Spanish is easier, but I'm looking for a bigger audience. I must say, something unexpected happened: I didn't think my grammar was actually good until I started reading these shorts. They are really good, but some sentences have some grammar issues that confuse me to the point in which I say, out loud, "CAN YOU ENGLISH?" word for word, not even in Spanish. That did not happen when I started to write in English more often.

I'm probably going to do an outline tonight, and maybe tomorrow, before leaving for game session, I'll start drafting some opening sentences to kickstart some of my work. In comparison to other stuff that I read from this genre, the shorts that I'm reading have very blunt opening sentences, while the others depend on a lot of boring building up. It's the same criticism I give to Rómulo Gallegos; one of the most important authors of this country (the best, by some accounts): I really, really, really love his prose, but there are times in which a beautifully crafted prose that sounds so poetic does the complete opposite for the story, dragging the beat of the plot to the ground, and making very climactic moments boring. Again, don't get me wrong, if you haven't read Cantaclaro (no matter if it is in Spanish or English), you should, is a genuinely good novel, filled with some bits of poetry. The problem is the bloated prose. How can you make an adventure filled with amazing landscapes and Venezuelan cowboys that, instead of using guns, they are supersticious about ghosts and demons, with some of them giving on to them and start practicing witchcraft, so numbingly boring? Make long descriptions and everything sound way prettier than it is; that's how. Man, Hemingway would have had the time of his life redacting all those words...

Honestly, seeing the mistakes actually make me feel more confident on my abilities... including those whom are seen as masters of the craft. There's a saying that comes to mind now: "work hard, until your idols become your rivals." Did I reach this point in my skill that now I consider someone so important, like Rómulo Gallegos, a rival?

I have no idea. If I did, that's putting a lot of pressure on me right now. If I didn't, I think I flipped off Cthulhu.

January 7th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 100

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 20 Hop Heel Clicks +EC
Count: 985 - 981 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 8 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: WoD: Bloom +EC
:v: One Kick (Side Kick) - LVL III +EC +Rest between levels (+10 XP)
:v: Hamstring Stretch - 1 minute each stretch (1 minute per side too)
:v: DAREdice: 20 Squats

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 8
:v: The Guardian: Day 8 - All is clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
I think that can be a problem when you start studying the books you enjoy reading. You see errors everywhere that you simply never noticed before. I'm reading my Lad a book I actually kept from my younger years. It's a great book, very perspicacious ("The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norman Juster). I read it to my girls and now it's the Lad's turn. But now when I'm reading it, I'm noticing things like the use of pronouns when that pronoun is not referring to the most recent noun. That's the only issue, but it's so bugging me!
Purple prose bores me. I think, sure, let me know what something looks like, set the scene, but don't make the language more beautiful or florid than the rest of the book. Perhaps part of that's jealousy - I'm way too pragmatic. :LOL:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I'm smiling now. D&D day, and one of my players voiced out that the Urban Fantasy episodic campaign is way too fun to change it to something different. It makes me wonder if a neighbor is all confused because it's a neon-noir thing, and we're talking about crimes mixed in with high fantasy stuff. Let's show instead of telling: today's session was about taking down a cocaine operation, and we learned there's necromancy involved, with this gang also assassinating gravekeepers, one of which used to be a Grave Domain Cleric. Since our patrons don't want drugs in town, they are quite adamant of taking the whole thing down.

But how did a singer and sex worker (College of Creation Human Bard; not leaning into the horny bard stereotype, she just happens to have an extra job online because she loves the attention), an Ukrainian immigrant war veteran (Ghost in the Machine Patron Half-Elf Warlock / Way of the Open Hand Monk), a stereotypical tough Venezuelan guy (Gunslinger Eladrin Fighter), and a mechanic (Battle Smith Harengon Artificer), got into this predicament? Because they were all in a bar that was having a local band festival on Christmas' Eve, and the entire bar was robbed by members of this gang, and they all engaged into a fight, and a chase, and ended up getting into this predicament with a biker gang that's giving them jobs because they are good muscle. All of this works in a Vampire: The Masquerade setting, but it seems to be so much more packed with action using the D20 mechanics instead of the Storyteller's. As I said before, we're using regular D&D 5e, taking some mechanics from D20 Modern, updating them and streamlining them for 5e, so that instead of having those billions of guns that D20 3e has, we only have one of each type. We also reduced the amount of skills, adding a couple tied to INT, and we brought stuff from an Unearthed Arcana that has some things for Urban Fantasy, like the Ghost in the Machine Warlock Patron, the City Cleric Domain, and the Technomancy Arcane Tradition. The thing that I left unchanged were the mechanics on how some guns work (burst-fire, full auto, shotguns' spread), and the Wealth mechanic. I've introduced Renown for the first time, since campaigns that take place in one city are heavily carried by factions. So far, I only introduced two, and mentioned one more. They are all gangs, for now, but I might add corporations and government bodies.

What I can see is that there is a lot of character development. Three out of four (including me) have backgrounds that are more connected to the world than with the previous campaign. Maybe this is because we're not making everything out of thin air, and instead relying on the current world, especially because it all takes place in our town, so there's familiar places, specific addresses, and we all have Google Maps in our phones. Justified, because the characters also have smartphones, and the Warlock / Patron mechanic works so well with the Ghost in the Machine, up to the point in which the Warlock/Monk is much more of a hacker than our Artificer. And I'm not saying this to diminish the Artificer's abilities, though, she transformed her steel defender into a trike with two sidecars and brought us to a place where we could steal a car that doesn't get a lot of attention so we could shadow those mules effectively... until we screwed up in our last Stealth check. But yeah, I really like the Warlock/Monk. He has a very in-depth backstory, coming with a broken marriage with two teenage kids, an ex-wife that seems to still love him, and a rogue AI that is obsessed with him. Just knowing the rogue AI is actually his Patron makes for quite some funny interactions.

But yeah, this is nuts. I'm loving this campaign more than the others, and so are my players. If it wasn't because I didn't have time to do anything, I would have prepared the next session right away, but it seems that, tomorrow, I'll take my notes. I already wrote out the next episode.

You know, the episodic format works perfectly for this. We can just... pause things for a while, and when we come back, our characters aren't going to be in some huge hiatus because we left it off in the middle of a battle or something. We ended the story for now, and we carry it on later. And it's fine if someone's missing. We can get that player some other time, and resolve their character's abscense in-story through some other way. No cliffhangers, and the overarching plot (which this campaign doesn't have) can be placed on the background. It's like doing a TV show more in the vein of Law & Order, and less like True Detective.

I did not mean for the whole thing to be humorous, but I love that it is. The story is serious, the NPCs are serious, but none of us can resist goofing around from time to time, and, for storytelling purposes, it works! It doesn't break the seriousness, and it gives us a time to explore a country that's... at least getting better from what it is now. I mean, we stopped at a gas station in the middle of a chase because the guys we were shadowing stopped for gas. So while they were getting gas, we also bought food, my Bard got a quick photoshoot with the help of the Warlock, the Wealth throw was a Nat 20, so the purchase went far much faster than what it usually takes (it took place on the 31st of December, so usually paying with debit card takes longer than usual)... and once the car we were shadowing got on the move, we instantly switched back to professional muscles, watching John Wick on the car's player while we shadowed it. It's little details like this that makes the story of these games very alive, like, it is happening to us, right there, on the table. We're immersed in our characters. I had no choice, but to reward everyone with inspiration. They seriously are enjoying this campaign. And I freaking love it.

Not the first time I do Urban Fantasy, though. Last Halloween, I also implemented a one-shot taking place during a zombie apocalypse, and we had to travel from point A to point B to evacuate, and we ended up in Taiwan. I think I talked about it in the log somewhere, but it was real fun.

January 8th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 100

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Side Leg Raises +EC
Count: 986 - 982 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 9 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:x: DAREdice: Unrolled today

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 9
:v: The Guardian: Day 9 - All is clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, today was a full day. A lot of combat that had to be resolved on a solo game. Thankfully, because I removed the hit rolls and used only damage rolls, it was all streamlined, and it went completely faster. 100 Goblins today, so who knows what expects me tomorrow. The Goblins are coming. And the monk has reached 4th level, so I applied the Athlete feat to increase her DEX, and streamline combat. I also applied the two extra points a character gets on each ASI because it's my solo game, and I want to play it fast due to the sheer amount of Goblins I face.

Fireheart was tiring. I needed to catch my breath on my final set, but I did 10 more minutes of stretching today. My lunges are deep, so I tried how far I can do a front split. There's still a way to go, but it's possible. I'm focusing more on opening my hips and stretching my hamstrings so that I can have more range.

These two... one minute each stretch. And one minute per side too, instead of 30 seconds... As soon as I finished them, I wanted to crawl up on bed, get comfy, and watch movies. First time I felt so relaxed after a stretch.

I wrote the post-session notes from yesterday, and I think I can squeeze some extra writing tonight.

The water came with enough pressure tonight that, after so many years, we didn't need to carry it inside the house. The faucets, the shower... everything is working! I forgot what having a shower feels like. It won't last forever, but damn, it's so good to feel like this is not a 4th world country anymore.

E: I managed to do a rough outline of a short that I'll try to start developing tomorrow, or perhaps iron that outline more. Whatever happens.

January 9th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 101

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 3 Minutes Punches +EC (340 Hits, +5 XP)
Count: 987 - 983 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 10 - LVL III +1 minute rest between levels (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
40 Full Burpees
30 Full Burpees
30 full Burpees
:v: DAREdice: 4 Lunges, 4 Sit-ups
:v: 1 minute Uttanasana w/Toe Reach
:v: 1 minute Adho Mukha Svanasana
:v: Hamstring Stretch - 1 minute each stretch (+1 minute per side)
:v: Hips & Glutes Stretch - 1 minute each stretch (+1 minute per side)

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 10
:v: The Guardian: Day 10 - Sidequest: 100 Goblins (2500 XP, Reached 4th level)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"

This is how it feels tonight, after doing... 2.5K, if I recall correctly. Not to mention, fighting 200 Goblins, teaching a guitar class...

Yes, indeed, I am back! 2.5K words! Nothing related to the solo RPG I'm doing with The Guardian, it was straight out a story that was in my head the moment I woke up, then I outlined a bit... and when I showered tonight, there was a bunch of sequels to it, so I did the first part today. Awful first draft, with a lot of corny dialog and words, and mistakes, but who cares, because I wanted to do something anyway, and I did it!

Reason it took me until the evening was because I had to prepare my class, I had to fight the 200 Goblins, and I also got a call from school, telling me that I need to formalize my resignation. I'll do that tomorrow morning.

It was a good day considering that I had a nightmare. Funny enough, I didn't want to wake up from that nightmare; I was having so much fun inside! It was exactly like living in a crime thriller, similar to those movies that revolve in a hostage situation, like The Taking of Pelham 123. Perfect material for an awesome crime novelette! Especially because I was inside the shoes of the most interesting character I could have dreamed of; closest I have is a Grave Cleric I made for D&D, and is not an urban fantasy cleric!

This was a good day. Now, I have to go to school tomorrow to finish up my resignation, and then start writing some more. I want to develop that nightmare I had, because I know it'll be a very intense psychological thriller. Just knowing who the heroes are is enough to make it interesting.

January 10th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 102

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 50 Climber Taps +EC
Count: 988 - 984 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 11 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: DAREdice: 10 Squats
:v: Boxer Tendon Strength +EC

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 11
:v: The Guardian: Day 11 - Sidequest: 200 Goblins (2500 XP, Reached 5th level)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:
:v: News Column 900 Max

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Going back to private classes!

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I won't lie, it felt pretty bad qutting. When I got out to get a copy of my ID, I met with several students on the way, and greeted them as usual... It pains me that I won't get to be their teacher anymore, but it is what it is. I won't stand there and say lies to them, or worst, tell the truth and get into a huge controversy that could get me fired, at worst.

But it's unrespectful. As if teachers being underpaid isn't insulting enough, add to it the fact that we're not paid in time, or not even paid at all. I never had high hopes with a job inside the public school system, because I already knew the hiring process is a revolving door. I don't have anything against the school, I have everything against the Ministry. Even though it was a few weeks, I earned more money with private classes than inside the classroom. Not even a penny I've got.

To think that I should tell lies on top of that... to indoctrinate...

No.

The only one who's got my back on this is the person I didn't think would. Yet she knows everything that I went through, and it is insulting. My family isn't thrilled, but they are understanding, at least. Some of them went through it, and they know money is an urgent matter right now. But I can't work in public schools because of the Ministry, and in private schools because I pretty much have to revert back into being a guy. All I have left is two things: go freelance, and writing.

For now, I just need a plan of action. So far, it's only writing. I have nothing ready as of yet... well, it's a lie, I do have stuff ready, but I'm not putting it out now because I know it will fail. None of my pennames are even known, and I'm still going through them. So far, everything has ben a wreck after wreck, and when I think everything's in order, something bad happens, and I have to start all over.

But anyway, I'm posting now because, even though I didn't reach the 1.5K daily count, I still managed to figure out the nightmare I had, and got a hero out of it too. I also collected the names of anthologies that are murder mysteries, because I am already sick of shorts that are pretty much retellings of The Cask of Amontillado with different characters, motives, and methods. I'm looking for Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, Mike Hammer, Philip Marlowe, Harry Bosch... cowboy cops, private detectives solving a mystery in less than 7.5K words, not a bunch of people killing each other for the three typical motives. The reason I love noir stories is because the police procedural formula is simple: detective solves a mystery, and the bad guy loses. The environment is not desirable, and there's always obstacles. Besides, the heroes don't need to be detectives at all. Is not noir, but think how Life is Strange is about solving the case of a missing girl by two teenagers that are learning to be adults. Or how Blade Runner is about chasing four fugitives in a world where technology has made them "more human than human," which is why I love neon-noir so much.

Anyway, rant's over. I already have a list. All I need is a plan of action... and a lot of writing.

January 11th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 102

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Seconds Side Plank Hold +EC
Count: 989 - 985 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 12 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: GET TO DA CHOPPA! - LVL III +EC
:v: DAREdice: 12 Squats

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 12
:v: The Guardian: Day 12 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:
:v: News Column 900 Max

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

OJJJEM

Mother of Dragons Posts: 585
*hugs* You made a hard choice and are continuing to do so, and you have exhibited perseverance when it comes to standing for what you believe in, both in public schools and in private schools. Your tenacity will see you through even in most unfavorable employment (and unemployment) circumstances, I am certain. I pity that school for what they've lost, and those kids even more so for losing a teacher that cares about them. I hope that the next chapter of your life's adventure yields good fruit.

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
"My past is everything I failed to be." -Fernando Pessoa

Good ol' Pessoa, always coming into my life when something goes wrong. That quote is the hug that I needed.

tl;dr, I got myself into a fight that wounded me on a personal level. Bad thoughts... horrible thoughts and images are coming back. There's a lot of pressure on me now, and I honestly don't know what to do about it. I ranted all about it in my diary, and this was, by far, the worst part of it. I've been crying throughout the entire writing session, with some angry fits in-between in which I almost threw the notebook against the wall. In fact, there was some damage: there are some pages which only had one sentence written in big letters that occupied the entire space, and the tip of my pencil went through the page in one of those. I also broke my mechanical pencil in one of those fits of anger...

The gist of that entry is simple: I officially have no one that I can trust. There's only one person, and I couldn't tell them anything because I didn't want to bother them with this issue at this moment. I am so done with everyone overestimating me every single time. What is it about me that makes people think I am way much better than I actually am? What's the vibe that I give? I'm only a person. I can be determined, but that's it. I don't want people expecting stuff from me, let alone impossible things.

And this isn't recent. Ever since I grew up, everyone treated me like some prodigial kid, and no, I am not a prodigy. I don't have a genius IQ. I am just well-read. Encyclopedias were pretty much the only books I had growing up, so I read them a lot. The fact that I like to research into obscure subjects doesn't make me the smartest person in the world. It only makes me the one who can use search engines the most effectively. Any conclusion that I come up with is through reading, analysis, and critical thinking. Doesn't everyone have those skills?

What is it about me? Is it the mask that I wear every single day? The mask that glued to my skin for far too long, and I've spent 8 years trying so bad to get rid of it? The one that I almost believed to be real? The one that has the programming that turned me into a malleable and awful person? Is it that? In which is what I've failed? Because nothing of what I've lived has been really my choice.

I chose to study music, yes, but not since the beginning. Before I entered university, I was already studying music since I was three years old, four years old... why do I even care? It was a mistake. Everything in it was only the illusion of a choice. Every single decision that "I took" was already made, and every time they gave me the "choice," I was carefully blinded about the other options. There was no help.

Moving to this town, another mistake. Studying music in university, a mistake that I can own. Not being able to live on my own? By all the Gods from all religions, this is Venezuela! It's impossible for a millenial to get a house and a car in throughout the 10s! Especially when 2016 blew the economy to pieces! I lost my job back in the day, and it wasn't due to my own volition! I got fired after a month, and it wasn't like my boss told me "you're fired," no, I went to work, and she was literally teaching someone how to work, and gave them my shift, and then told me in front of them that I'm not working there anymore! And instead of going out, I stayed, to help with the home business that ended up closing in 2019, because I was not allowed to follow my own path. And when everything got locked up, I got released? And now, it feels like I'm back at being locked up?

Yeah, I don't have anyone I can trust. Not family, not friends, no one. Only one person, and they don't know jack about this yet. I should have been away from home since I was 23, but before that, I got screwed over by realizing that I'm transgender, and I've spent the past 8 years trying to fix everything that went wrong in the way I was raised.

I know I am a failure! I don't need people reminding me that! I always tell that to myself every single time I look in the mirror in the morning!

Out of desperation, I started reading the Python documentation, which is an odd choice. The holidays will officially be over next week (this State always resumes to normal the workday after the 15th), yet I'm being berated for formalizing my resignation yesterday, resignation that I already informed I was going to do it. And I never got paid. I knew I was going to have trouble with the money, because everyone I know that worked in the public system seems to always be fighting with the Ministry to get paid. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with that kind of stress.

Was this whole thing a mistake? Screw it, I don't want to know the answer to that question. Both are terrible. I think I'll go on a walk tomorrow morning so that I can vomit my breakfast.

It was all going too well. As usual, when everything goes good, there's always something that screws me over, and I'm back at square one. No writing, with the exception of my journal, and I scribbled on it very angrily today. I have nothing else to say. I have nothing to write today.

All I can say is that one of my neighbors was right. That shop that we had? It ruined me. In the end, it ruined my life.

January 12th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 103

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 60 Back Leg Raises +EC
Count: 990 - 986 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 13 - LVL III +1-minute rest between levels (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: Dagger - LVL III +EC
:v: DAREdice: 16 Push-ups (15 Power Push-ups, 1 Clapping Push-up)

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 13
:v: The Guardian: Day 13 - Sidequest: 200 Goblins (+2500 XP)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
Reading Python documentation

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
I don't have much I can say - I wish I had better, and more comforting words. But reading how much you care about those kids, how you stand for your own morals, reading the enthousiasm in your DnD reports, overall just what you write on these posts.... I am finding it really difficult to see that awful person you proclaim yourself to be. I see someone brave and strong, much much braver than I could ever be. And that might not mean a lot from an anonymous person, on a mostly anonymous online forum. But I wanted to put that out there.

If you need it, and are inclined to, I am offering the warmest, comfiest Baymax-y virtual hugs I can send over. and I hope that today, and tomorrow, and the day afterwards get a little bit better, a day at a time.

hug GIF

:hug:

Last edited:

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
I too often feel like a total failure, for various reasons, most of which have nothing to do with me.
Then I remember that I'm trying to live my life to the best of my ability and as close as possible to what I really want to do, I wish others a good life and I go back on my way.
I won't be perfect, I won't be the best, they won't envy me but I will be myself and I might as well make a life worthwhile.
Never forget you're trying to be yourself, most people die without even knowing they've played a part :love:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
There was nothing to talk about yesterday. There was only two things: Python and writing.

I spent the day setting up my computer for it, and trying to make amends to that fight I've gotten myself into. Part of me still wants to run away like a coward. The other part of me also wants to run away, but not without putting up a fight.

I'm glad that one won.

Aside from preparing for Python, I also wrote last night. And I wrote, and wrote, and wrote... Had it not been because it was too late, and my brain was already begging for sleep, I could have kept going. It's been a while... Every time I think I've reached a climax, it seems that I went deeper and deeper into it. I've got three new projects for short stories that I can release to the public without feeling the need to grip the copyright so tightly, because what I'm afraid of is that the thing that's happening with Wizards of the Coast right now will affect me. It doesn't have anything to do with D&D, but this is not the first time I've seen that drama happening. Some time ago, don't know if it was a couple of years, or even more, Raddish changed its ToS so that they can blatantly steal the content of any author that dares to publish in that platform. Understand my distrust because the things that I do, they all take place in the same universe. If I resign my rights, I am also resigning the rights to carry on with the project.

But I digress. Thing is that I did a chapter that was supposed to be less than 2.5K words long. It's almost at 6K now, and it's not over yet. I have no idea if I'm bloating the story, or if I'm just taking things up to eleven with every step that I take, but the thing seems to be working like this. It's thrilling. It's exciting. It keeps asking me more, and more. It's like a drug. This story is exactly like a drug. And I dared myself to finish it off today before starting the last chapter, and go for a prologue and an open-ended epilogue before editing, and carry on with the assembly line.

Old ideas for game design came back when I started reading Python, and started to get myself used to the shell, and IDLE. From the police procedural stories and horror stories turned into text adventures, or even graphical adventures if I dip my toes onto PyGame, module that's installed in my computer too. Even having a dice rolling app or a character sheet app for Shadowrun 5e or VtM V20, since the sheer number of dice they both use is nuts!

Maybe I really am a failure. Because I failed to achieving what people wanted me to be.

It shall never be about them. This is my life. It should be by my own terms.

I want to make this work, no matter what. I want to prove that I am a professional, even if it means starting from scratch.

January 13th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 104

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Side-to-side Jumps +EC
Count: 991 - 987 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 14 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: DAREdice: 4 Squats
:x: Hamstring Stretch - 1 minute each stretch (+1 minute per side)

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 14
:v: The Guardian: Day 14 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
Set up the computer and started practicing with the shell. Lots of Python reading

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
@BetaCorvi Standing up for my morals doesn't pay the bills. Then again, if I did my job, I would have taken part with the corruption of the educational system. Besides, that work wasn't paying the bills. Like I said, I didn't care if the amount of money was only 1 dollar, I need the paycheck. And, quite frankly, I am annoyed that people keep asking me if I got paid by my job or not every single day. I already gave up on that money. This is something that's been going on in the Ministry for years; I think it's older than me. I already knew that it was a lost cause. Everyone knew, and they still dare to ask me that question? Rude... At this point it feels like an unfunny joke at the expense of the teacher community's misery.

@Fremen I'm doing the best that I can, and it's not enough. As I said, this city is a prison... Worst part is that I'm blamed for not reaching the potential I should have reached in my early 20s, but to have reached that potential, I shouldn't have been studying two careers at the same time, nor I should have been working from home, and this country shouldn't have been ruled by that red mafia that's been in power for over 20 years now, with that jerk of a "successor" that... let's just say he likes to make fun of the people's poverty, to sum things up. Believe me when I say I restrained myself in my wording, because this could have gotten the wrong way, and I could've gone down into a rabbit hole about politics that this is not the place, and I stopped caring about debating it for a long time...

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Not much done during the day, but I think I can do something tonight.

I'm trying to make amends... But I don't think I can do anything really good until Monday. Why? I'm taking a wall around the entire city, looking for both job postings and meditating about ideas as to what should I do next. Python is still a priority, as well as writing. In fact, the D&D drama got me to researching into copyright and trademarks again (I've done that in the past to figure out Public Domain works), which reassured me how everything that I do is protected. I'm still not publishing that because I want my name to be partially known before dropping the first story.

As for the rest of the day, it was mostly helping with stuff around the house, and being used as a mannequin for some oven mittens. If the Daily Walk challenge was not 15 minutes a day, I would put like four days in a row. That much I had to go out the house to make errands that took me more than 15 minutes of walking, including pulling a cart that's not fit for my height. I'm too tall for that.

Out of curiosity, I tested out my speeds on that: I'm doing 2.35 punches per second. If I lose my stance (ergo, forgetting about defense and attacking recklessly), I can do 2.5 punches per second; 2.8 punches per second if I am standing with my right foot on front instead of left. Burpees are still at 0.5 burpees per second, but there were some sets that I did 0.55 burpees per second. I could argue that mantaining proper form influenced the difference of speed, but really, those few times that I did 0.55 I managed to get them with both proper and unproper form. Squats remained at a constant 1 squat per second, but there were a few times where there was a small increase to 1.05 squats per second.

I counted my Burpees, for a total of... 144 Full Burpees today. No EC, because I used the EC of Fire Punch, meaning 1 minute of rest instead of 30 seconds. Good HIIT though. It helped me to reinforce the fact that doing so many Burpees so often is helping me to resist more, and recover faster. I'm noticing that I can still exert the same amount of energy on Set 7 as I did on Set 1 in Fireheart; specifically in full body days. Of course, I end up sweating like a pig, but I can still keep going. I'm way too tanky to be a Bard. I am definitely part of the College of Valor.

January 14th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 105

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 30 Leg Raises +EC
Count: 992 - 988 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 15 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: 100 Burpees No EC
144 Burpees (see WoD)
:v: WoD: Fire Punch - LVL III +EC (+20 XP)
:v: DAREdice: 12 Push-ups
:x: 1 minute Uttanasana w/Toe Reach
:v: Shuffle Dance! (#1, #2, #3)
Dancing Days: 2

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 15
:v: The Guardian: Day 15 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Skipped the Burpees because I thought I had no time for them. I ended up being wrong.

I had to cancel D&D because there were some other plans today, but those plans didn't come through until very late on the day. I wish I didn't cancel.

No matter. I managed to squeeze Fireheart and almost everything in the morning, because when we came back, we had to carry water... I ended up staying up late finish up what I started, and my plan for today is finish up that short story, not knowing whether there's a continuation or not, but fully aware that I am doing some other things. I'll leave it finished on the first draft before getting into writing it as such, because that endless built-up from the middle needs to be fixed. Beta-reader sensed that it was rushed, and they are right because I rushed through the last part because I didn't want to make the scene any longer at the risk of having more intensity playing out. Like I said, writing it felt like getting high. It's been such a long time. I love to get in the zone when I'm writing.

My brain is so filled with ideas too. Not plot bunnies that are shelved, but ideas that I leave on an assembly line, and either I throw the dice to see which one I would like to work, or check one. There's so many, but having them so neatly organized makes me feel less intimidated. I've got this. I've got so much material to work on. And with Python on the way, I can bring up some of those ideas into coding. My first goal is to make a short text adventure not using any of that. Once I manage to do that, I'll go into PyGame, and try something more ambitious. Old concepts that I came up with are coming back. Just like I recycled some of my earlier neon-noir work to put into my Urban Fantasy D&D Campaign, I'm recycling some dead projects into ideas that I can fit in on my current work, that may work better as videogames rather than short stories, novelettes, or novels. I already have the art style in mind. In fact, there was some concept art on one of those dead projects. Is not my own, but the inspiration is what matters.

I thought I need to make amends today, but I did so last night. I still need to do some things, but there's something for me in the horizon. If I don't have opportunities, I might as well just make my own.

January 15th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 106

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Side Elbow Plank Rotations +EC
Count: 993 - 989 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 16 - LVL III +1 Minute Rest (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: WoD: Hello, Abs! - LVL III +Megaset
:v: Fighter's Warmup
:v: DAREdice: 20 Squats

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 16
:v: The Guardian: Day 16 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
There was a little bit of Python to pass the time

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Spent the day writing, going out, and more writing... Not much to say, except that it was a boring day.

There was the reminder of an important thing to do soon now, though. I don't know how should I get on it, but I have to do it.

January 16th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 107

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Jumping Jacks +EC
Count: 994 - 990 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 17 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: DAREdice: 8 Lunges

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 17
:v: The Guardian: Day 17 - All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
It was a lazy day yesterday, mostly because of a plan that got cancelled at the end. I had stuff to do, but I ended up doing nothing. Even working out felt like a slog.

So, "rest" day. There was some movement, but not as much. I didn't even write. I got so sleepy that I went to bed right when I was about to write.

I have a lot of stuff to do today, though. Hopefully yesterday was not a waste of time.

One of the hirelings that accompanied my Monk during the "The Guardian" inspired campaign died yesterday. They were a Scout NPC; shot to death by 50 Goblins in an ambush. RIP. The mob rolled high enough to deal damage that left them in negative numbers, far much higher than their max HP.

January 17th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 107

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 50 Squats +EC
Count: 995 - 991 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 18 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: DAREdice: 16 Push-ups

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 18
:v: The Guardian: Day 18 - Sidequest: 200 Goblins (+3333 XP)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
There was a plan

Others:
No math
Used the Python interpreter as a calculator instead

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
It's happening again. I'm following what's been plotted, but I'm rushing through things because I thought about new conflicts. And I'm rushing through it because I don't want to spend more time editing than writing. It's supposed to be crap, and it's hard to deal with the perfectionist side of me that's saying "GO BACK, WE NEED TO FIX THIS!"

I'll fix that later! I need to finish this first!

I left it in pause for tonight. I could keep going, but I don't want to spend an all-nighter developing this, let alone rushing through it. I don't want the ending of this chapter to be rushed. This is the end of this... serialized novelette, or at least, the first serialized novelette out of many others to come, because I'm not sure if I could do a sequel to this or not. What I'm certain is that I'm having fun with this again. Fun that I've been lacking, because...

Even though I haven't prepared much of my D&D session, this has been a very nerdy week. I've spent more time checking out what others are saying about what's been going on with the WotC drama that started at the beginning of the month. I've brought this up to my table, which has been very... let's say "afraid" of moving onto another system. I'm trying to seduce them into Pathfinder 2e because they love to have more customization, although prefer to keep things simple. But, as power players as we are, I think the 3-action system would make for some fun combats in our sessions, perhaps even more tactical than the ones we're having right now. In fact, there's a mini campaign I want to do as a sequel to what happened after our first campaign ended, and it would make sense to have it on another system within universe. Why? One of my players said that his character carried on with his motivations, and kept with that decision thinking that it'll lead him to victory. Instead, his ambition brought him to another plane of existance against his will. In other words, he ended up soul trapped. Whether this was by accident, or at the fault of someone, it's something that I don't know, and might be brought into during the campaign. Regardless, I'd like to pull one out of Terry Pratchett and do a story very similar to the one presented in Eric, but this time, a long time has passed, long enough so that the universe has the same technology level as our current times. That's where switching the system makes sense, because the Wizard, and the other players, after being accidentally summoned in the same vein Rincewind was on the book, they have lost their powers due to the time they were trapped in the other plane, so they must recover their powers, which are going to be new considering that this is a new system. I'm still leaving the Wizard with the same curse he got near the end of the game: he gained the first two features a Wild Magic Sorcerer gets in 5e: the Wild Surge, and Tides of Chaos. I thought about removing them, but the player loved the randomness of it so much that he wanted it to be kept in until the end.

Besides, moving my stuff into the ruleset of Pathfinder 2e is good for me too. First, the ORC is coming, so that hopefully means a better insurance than the OGL. With the ORC on the way, it gives me time to dip my toes into the system. Besides, I already read some of it over the ocurse of the week. The amount of customization it has pretty much makes homebrew mechanics very easy to implement, even those that belong to an Urban Fantasy universe. There is already a character that I had in mind to use on D&D to write stories about, but I can do it on PF2e instead.

My girlfriend said that, ever since I started to implement TTRPG rule systems into my writing, I seemed to be more organized. I also noticed that I'm less stuck, and my writing has been streamlined so well. She asked me for some advice about writing, and what I told her is the very same roadmap I follow when preparing a session. This time, though, there's no dice involved. Nevertheless, I gave her the Shadowrun way of building up runs, which is a neat generator that it has on the core rulebook. Though it's focused only on the Shadowrun universe, the premise of it works to make the framework for plotting any kind of story. The only difference is that, when writing a story, you're telling everything that's happening, but when you're making a game session, you're proposing problems that the players must bring solutions to, and the dice will tell if those solutions are good or not.

January 18th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 108

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Elbow Plank Arm Raises +EC
Count: 996 - 992 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 19 - LVL III +1 Minute Rest (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: No Wrong Answers - LVL III +Megaset
:v: DAREdice: 16 Sit-ups

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 19
:v: The Guardian: Day 19 - Sidequest: 200 Goblins (+166 XP - Reached 6th Level!)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
Used the Python interpreter as a calculator instead

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I got cancelled on Tuesday, so I moved the class to yesterday. But aside from that, nothing much about yesterday, other than I was very busy.

We returned to our weekly Qi Gong, which was good! It's been such a long time, and there's a couple of new people in the group!

No writing, but I got my stuff in order to publish in the future. I still need to write, but I don't know if I can make it today or not.

January 19th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 109

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 40 Lunge Step-ups +EC
Count: 997 - 993 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 20 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: Butt Lift +EC
:v: Ba Han Sheng Qi Gong: Corporeity as Temple of the Universe
:v: DAREdice: 8 Squats

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 20
:v: The Guardian: Day 20 - Sidequest: All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Guitar classes!

Others:
No math
No Python

Last edited:

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
I'm touching the idea about switching to PF2e for a mini-campaign with the group already, but so far, only one of them knows. I'll reach out to them on Sunday, since we're finally having a session to carry on with our 5e Urban Fantasy episodic campaign... that neither of us want to abandon because it's been really fun so far. Two more sessions and I finish one arc before I introduce another that I think it will be fun, since it connects with our previous campaign. It all started as a way to explain the absence of one of the characters in one of our sessions, so he told us that his Wizard did some experiments, and ended up switching places on another place. At first I suggested the Feywild, but I ended up saying he went forward 300 years in time, to our current world, visiting our Urban Fantasy characters (we already had them rolled up and ready to go by that point). We even roleplayed some bits once he returned for the next session, so I want to make the next arc of episodes to be about that point in time.

I spent the day mostly giving the last strokes to that final session, checking up with all that OGL 1.2 drama that stills smells like someone is microwaving fish in the break room. I'm not a lawyer, but it isn't weird to me to see contracts where people can blatantly steal your stuff, and seems like WotC won't budge on that, among other things. The entire thing is both interesting, but also painful to read. Now I'm even more paranoid for publishing a story for free somewhere, so I am obsessively looking for clauses that are not that. Like Pratchett, I too am very jealous and perfectionist of my intellectual property. That's why I'm more interested about ORC, because I have no idea whether I'll end up making third-party modules or not, but if I do, I don't want to do it under a restrictive license where the "Open" word in the title is completely void of meaning.

But going back with my table, I'll run some experiments. I'd like to try Shadowrun 5e, even though the number of D6s is...

V20 Vampire: The Masquerade, or Hunter: The Reckoning are also a couple of things that I'd like to try with them too. The number of D10s needed is not as big as the number of D6s in Shadowrun, and the system is simpler, but the combat needs to be either streamlined or sacrificed. My table leans more on combat rather than the other pillars. I still want to play VtM with them, though.

I'm not sure about Cyberpunk. 2020 is the one I know better, but having everything in Night City feels way too restrictive, even more so than the emphasis of having everything in Seattle with Shadowrun. At least Shadowrun's lore allows other places, and my plans for VtM take place in a completely uncharted territory within the World of Darkness universe as a whole.

This has been a very nerdy week.

There was no water yesterday, so I had to carry water today. Daily Walk, with extra weight, and for a longer period of time! No Burpees. I knew I had to do this, so I reserved my energy.

January 20th, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 109

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 2 Minutes Arm Scissors +EC
Count: 998 - 994 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 21 - LVL III +Megaset
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
:v: DAREdice: 16 Decline Push-ups
:x: 1 minute Uttanasana w/Toe Reach

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 21
:v: The Guardian: Day 21 - Sidequest: 200 Goblins (+3333 XP)
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress:

Reading progress:

Art progress:
Nope

Music:
Nope

Others:
No math
No Python

Sólveig

"Ars longa, vita brevis"
Well, I wrote! And I could have finished the story, but I feel tired right now. It's been a long day, so much so that I had to switch days on Fireheart because Day 22 is longer than 23 and 24. I'll do 24 tomorrow, and 22 on Monday.

One of the members of my group is already checking Pathfinder out, and created a character on it. I'm still reviewing it to see if I can convert a College of Valor Bard to the system. Seeing the rules, I believe I can. The Muse has to be Warrior, it seems. That actually suits that Bard much better than the College of Valor thing, because she didn't join any college? She ended up as a archeologist because she wanted to find lost lore about a warrior of legend. The College of Valor Stats happened mostly because she had some shieldmaiden training (not enough to have a dip on Fighter), so it made sense to go that road. I've seen that there's more customization about it. Bards are different, but I think Pathfinder works better for her than regular 5e.

Tomorrow is D&D day; Urban Fantasy, and discussion about trying out new systems. VtM still remains at the top of my head, but I have to persuade them out of combat first. Unless I cave in and use V5's combat, which is... eh, I don't think it's better than V20's, but it is an improvement.

January 21st, 2023
Kickboxing: Day 110

Morning Routine:
:v: Daily Dare: 20 Push-up Shoulder Tap +EC
Count: 999 - 995 +EC

Night Routine:

Programs:
:v: Re-badge - Fireheart: Day 23 - LVL III +Megaset (+10 XP)
Bucket List:
Carbon & Dust
Bootcamp
Power HIIT

Workouts:
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
25 Full Burpees
:v: WoD: Push-up Party - LVL III +Megaset
:v: DAREdice: 4 Push-ups

Challenges:
:v: Yoga Abs: Day 22
:v: The Guardian: Day 22 - Sidequest: All is Clear
Bucket List:
1000 Push-ups

Writing progress: