What are you currently reading?

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Pronouns: He/him
Three books right now
Endless Forms by Seiran Sumner. Fascinating book about wasps. Superorganisms like them, ants and bees are incredibly interesting, but bluntly domesticated bees are done to death.

Stjepan Šejić's Death Vigil. Fun art, nice dialogue, characters I care about. I hope there will be a volume 2.

Stjepan Šejić's Fine Print. Not sure I like this as much as I did Sunstone or Death Vigil, but boy is it pretty.

Recently finished:
  • Blood Stain by Linda Šejić volumes 1-4. Fun, cozy bit of work. Looking forward to Punderworld.
  • Jade City by Fonda Lee. Why did I wait so long?
Others in queue: Greek Key by KB Spangler; Griffin by Crawford Killian (still), Imperium Restored by Walter Jon Williams; Untethered Soul; Appleseed by John Clute; maybe Jade War.

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Just finished Fine Print, and oh Lord is it pretty! But what a cliffhanger to end on. Hmm, volume 2 well be out in December, time to pre-order and feed the artists.

Also, Punderworld is great and if you like Lore Olympus, you'll like this retelling of Persephone and Hades myth.

Also, I may have to give Sunstone a try. The Sejics have a gift for writing characters I care about.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
let's see... a while since I didn't put here what I read (I fill it on Goodreads).
In French :
by Jean Staune, "Jesus - l'enquète" (Jesus, the investigation). Title doesn't seem appropriate to me ; more than half of the book is a discussion of the identity of the evangelist of what is mostly called "John's Gospel", as well as the Elder's epistles and book of revelations. As next year's Bible study will be John's Gospel, I thought it would be a good brain-teaser, and it definitly was! If you're not already a believer, jean Staune is sometimes a bit heavy handed, LOL, but he has very interesting points, bot on purely biblical study, but also historical research on the various authors of young christianity. A very good read.
By Eric Fouassier, "Le bureau des affaires occultes" (the office for occult investigations). Set in Paris in 1830, it is a partly-paranormal but also very soundly based in science whodunnit, with an attaching investigator. Part of the mystery is, well... quite predictable, but well presented. What I enjoyed most was the description of 1830 Paris (a very disturbed time), and the inclusion of pharmacy and famous pharmacist like Pelletier ("inventor", along Caventoux, of quinine, and a few other very potent substances) ; you can imagine how happy I was, LOL. Only warning, it deals, partly, with paedophilia, and there are two very disturbing scenes.
and the first two "Anne of the Green Gables" book, in French because they've been lent to me by one of my best friends.

In English:
Some Hamish MacBeth, and one Agatha Raisin from MC Beaton. Always a nice relaxation, and I enjoy Hamish's Scottish setting a lot.
From Terry Pratchett, Maskerade. I laughed so much at all the references and twists, from Phantom of the Opera but also so many more references. Can't get enough of the witches!
Jo nesbo's"the leopard" . Very good read, very well written, but maybe a tad too noir to my taste - no slight on Jo Nesbo, but I generally chose lighter reads for the "lighter" reason, to relax and forget about this world's woes, so inter-police wars, sadistic killers, or paedophilia (like Le bureau des affaires occultes) no help to relax.

Happy reading, all!

Syrius

Valkyrie from The Sonoran Desert
Pronouns: she/her
"Energy and persistence conquers all things. -Benjamin Franklin"
I've got a few open:
* The Bullet Journal Method Ryder Carroll - Yeah, I've been moving through this one very, very slowly.
* The Seventh Realm Part 2 - Michael Chatfield (On my Kindle, currently paused because of the next one)
* Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris (Working my way through this series)
* Cibola Burn - James A. Corey (Audible)

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
@PetiteSheWolf I'm also re-reading Anne of Green Gables! I'm on the 5th by now.
@Syrius I love Sookie Stackhouse! How are you liking the series?

After finishing the Murderbot Diaries, which I really enjoyed and I'm excited for the next one, I'm currently on People We Meet on Vacation. I enjoyed Book Lovers by the same author, and this one is equally nice and predictable. A very easy summer read.

Syrius

Valkyrie from The Sonoran Desert
"Energy and persistence conquers all things. -Benjamin Franklin"

After finishing the Murderbot Diaries, which I really enjoyed and I'm excited for the next one, I'm currently on People We Meet on Vacation. I enjoyed Book Lovers by the same author, and this one is equally nice and predictable. A very easy summer read.
Loving it!! I had a lot of reading time this weekend, so I'm almost done with Dead Reckoning.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
I enoyed the Sookie Stackhouse serie ; it gets darker toward the end (that's how I felt it anyhow), and I know some fans were in arms over the last books, but I personally liked them. Have fun with Sookie! Right now I have started another serie from Charmaine Harris, the Gunny Rose serie ("an easy death" as first book), having a good time.

Mamatigerj

from COSprings/CentralTX
I began One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (English translation) yesterday.
I am also working my way through The Candy Bombers by Andrei Cherny (nonfiction about the Berlin Airlift).

And i have William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacob (i don't know anything about this one; it came through a used-book subscription) standing by.

Last month i read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, and Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell.

caetielle

Honeybee from Nova Scotia, Canada

Another Murderbot Diaries fan!! Hardly anyone I know here has read it, but it's one of my favourite series (I love it so much I read it out loud for my girlfriend, audiobook style).

Lately I've been making my way through T. Kingfisher's books. There's a mix of horror, original fantasy, and re-writes of existing tales, but I really like her writing style so I've been enjoying them all!

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Finished Charlaine Harris's "an easy death", first in the Gunny Rose serie.
A nice dystopian-western ride with a new engaging heroine. Charlaine Harris manages to evoke quite vividly this alternate north-american continent, and Rose is an intriguing, strong, sarcastic lead that I want to spend more time with. I am not quite as enamored with her as I was with Sookie, but definitly a nice ride.

Also finished another "Georgette et Magritte" cozy mystery, by nadine Monfils, "Leffe-toi et marche" (joke on the name of an abbaye beer, Leffe, and "stand up and walk"). I have to say I was disappointed - one of the secundary characters's behavior was downright ridiculous, and Magritte anti-clerical jokes fell flat very quickly. As much I I loved the first two (in Brussels - "nom d'une pipe" and in Brugges), the other two I read (Knokke le Zoute and Leffe / Dinant) were underwhelming.

mavie

from germany
I read Isabel Wilkerson - Caste recently and i would highly recommend it. It's a lot more about America (US) as it is about India and it has very good reasoning.

simpleart

I'm re-reading the ACOTAR series. I love it and that's how I actually came to find this website!!!! I got inspired reading the training sequences and literally googled "Fae Warrior workout" because I'm a nerd and found your Fae workout and Fae Princess workout. Now, am I in good enough shape to do them? No. So I found your Baseline program and am starting there. I love your website and am so glad I found it!

BravoLimaPoppa

Viking from Houston TX
Sunstone. I just finished volume 7.
Can there be cozy cheesecake? Because I care about these characters and want to see what happens next.

Finally finished Gryphon by Crawford Killian. Took so long because not an ebook (the rest is sadly more durable than a paperback in my bag). Recommended. Will not be to everyone's taste because the protagonist starts as an absolute prat.

Notes From the Burning Age by Claire North. Go out and read this book. It's beautifully done and worth reading.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Finished the second book in the Inspector gamache serie, "a fatal grace".
Very enjoyable read. Full of twists, and a very nice characterisation of both villagers and police. I found the double conclusion for the investigation very sad (maybe sadder than I like, but that's soft-hearted me)... Now, for the "internal police" drama, it prepares to ramp up, clearly - the slow developing of this plot is intriguing.
I can's see how Nichols may be redeemed, and so disappointed by Lemieux! He and Breboeuf are gonna so hurt our Armand..

Andi64

from Margareten
Just finished Neal Stephensons Termination Shock. A great read about a topic that will haunt us in the not so far future. Peppered with Stephensons love to interresting true facts, like 'Did you know that Albert Einstein invented a fridge with no moving parts ?' Really, he did!
Recommended.
Now back in the Polity: Weaponized by Neal Asher.

Kike

from Spain
I'm currently reading three books. I choose one or another depending on mood, time, or just which one of them i´m carrying.
The books are:
- Las enseñanzas de Don Juan, by Carlos Castaneda
- Greguerías, by Ramón Gómez de la Serna
- Blues legacies and black feminism, by Angela Davis

meeh4i

let's see... a while since I didn't put here what I read (I fill it on Goodreads).
In French :
by Jean Staune, "Jesus - l'enquète" (Jesus, the investigation). Title doesn't seem appropriate to me ; more than half of the book is a discussion of the identity of the evangelist of what is mostly called "John's Gospel", as well as the Elder's epistles and book of revelations. As next year's Bible study will be John's Gospel, I thought it would be a good brain-teaser, and it definitly was! If you're not already a believer, jean Staune is sometimes a bit heavy handed, LOL, but he has very interesting points, bot on purely biblical study, but also historical research on the various authors of young christianity. A very good read.
By Eric Fouassier, "Le bureau des affaires occultes" (the office for occult investigations). Set in Paris in 1830, it is a partly-paranormal but also very soundly based in science whodunnit, with an attaching investigator. Part of the mystery is, well... quite predictable, but well presented. What I enjoyed most was the description of 1830 Paris (a very disturbed time), and the inclusion of pharmacy and famous pharmacist like Pelletier ("inventor", along Caventoux, of quinine, and a few other very potent substances) ; you can imagine how happy I was, LOL. Only warning, it deals, partly, with paedophilia, and there are two very disturbing scenes.
and the first two "Anne of the Green Gables" book, in French because they've been lent to me by one of my best friends.

In English:
Some Hamish MacBeth, and one Agatha Raisin from MC Beaton. Always a nice relaxation, and I enjoy Hamish's Scottish setting a lot.
From Terry Pratchett, Maskerade. I laughed so much at all the references and twists, from Phantom of the Opera but also so many more references. Can't get enough of the witches!
Jo nesbo's"the leopard" . Very good read, very well written, but maybe a tad too noir to my taste - no slight on Jo Nesbo, but I generally chose lighter reads for the "lighter" reason, to relax and forget about this world's woes, so inter-police wars, sadistic killers, or paedophilia (like Le bureau des affaires occultes) no help to relax.

Happy reading, all!
Thanks for the suggestions i'll give it a look once I finish my books,currently reading some italian book Lo Stralisco,it's an interesting read so far!I remember having an assignment but it was way too hard for me and a friend of mine saw me struggling and he decided to help me.He helped me gather the information and checking some facts on the matter so I could get the best grade for my argumentative essay.After he saw that I am not handling it very well he introduced me to this amazing site https://paperial.com/blog/argumentative-essay-topics and after that i've never had any troubles!It is a good read overall with some interesting texts!A team of professionals help you by preparing you for your assignments and finals exams.I hope it will help you as it helped me!

Last edited:

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."
Another Murderbot Diaries fan!! Hardly anyone I know here has read it, but it's one of my favourite series (I love it so much I read it out loud for my girlfriend, audiobook style).

Lately I've been making my way through T. Kingfisher's books. There's a mix of horror, original fantasy, and re-writes of existing tales, but I really like her writing style so I've been enjoying them all!

MURDERBOT!!!!!! :hop::lovely: I'm actually reading Network Effect right now after re-reading the entire series for the second time this year, lol. I cannot wait for System Collapse to come out - that cover is amazing!

And T. Kingfisher is one of my favorite authors! I adore the World of the White Rat books, and her short stories are fantastic. Have you read any of her middle grade books? (They're written under the name Ursula Vernon.) Castle Hangnail is easily one of my top three favorite stories ever.

Happy reading!

caetielle

Honeybee from Nova Scotia, Canada
MURDERBOT!!!!!! :hop::lovely: I'm actually reading Network Effect right now after re-reading the entire series for the second time this year, lol. I cannot wait for System Collapse to come out - that cover is amazing!

And T. Kingfisher is one of my favorite authors! I adore the World of the White Rat books, and her short stories are fantastic. Have you read any of her middle grade books? (They're written under the name Ursula Vernon.) Castle Hangnail is easily one of my top three favorite stories ever.

Happy reading!

I read her comic Digger back when it was a webcomic, but I haven't read any of her more recent juv material. I see Dragonbreath at library all the time, though. I'll have to see if we have Castle Hangnail :)

elie

Bard from Europe
Hi there :happy:

Currently, "La révolution néolithique dans le monde" (The Neolithic revolution across the world), directed by Jean-Paul Demoule.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Finished a French mystery, "La cité des dogues" (The city of the hounds) by Jean Fallier, with Mary Lester as main investigator. Second book by him I read. Well written, and the description of the city of St Malo is very well done (with one exception), gotta give him credit for that, but I found the plot a bit lacking . I wanted to try this one because of the focus on St Malo, but not sure I will take more in this serie.

Jaga

"I don’t have a soul. I am a soul. I have a body."
Currently I'm listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman, reading Zerwa by Remigiusz Mróz and Pedalling Poland by Bernard Newman (in polish tho).

Recently I've finished Zombie by Wojciech Chmielarz, Olga i osty by Agnieszka Hałas as well as The key to Rebecca by Ken Follett.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Just finished Stephen King's collection of novels "if it bleeds". I highly recommend it ! Let's comment it by novel, in the "reverse favorite" order.
"the rat" - honestly, not very interesting ; a riff on writer's block / "deal with the devil". Not bad, but utterly forgivable. By itself 3 or even 2 starts - sorry Mr King; but read forth and forgive me ;)

"Chuck's world" - now, a very interesting take on what is reality, not the best King but thought provoking. 4 stars.

"If it bleeds". Now, we enter true King's territory. Strange while very well reality-grounded, with a main character you root for, and a villain that's scarier than scary. With today's events, that ... outsider would have a field day, grrr. It made me want to read the "Mr Mercedes" serie, so that's a solid win, 5 stars with that desire to read more, and the feeling that this is a really possible monster.

"Mr Hannigan's phone". That's the crown's jewel. I just loved it - five stars full and unconditional, explaining the 5 stars rating for the overall bookdespite the low "rat". The King really has the knack to convey the voice of youth, with notstalgia but without saccharine, remembering the very real terrors and pains of childhood, like in It or The body/ Stand with me, and that's one of the things I really love best about him. The fantastic/scary factor is well put, but it is the overall atmosphere that really pulled me in. Great King! Bravo! (now I hope you forgive me, Mr King, LOL!)

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
Non-fiction: Better Than We Found It: Conversations to Help Save the World by Frederick and Porsche Joseph. Really thoughtful book with a good mix of personal stories and interviews with a wide variety of folks. I like reading young adult non-fiction sometimes, especially if I want/need an overview on something I'm not the most familiar with. I like this one because it's not condescending or too simplified (sometimes YA non-fiction reads more like it's geared to 8 year olds than teens :sus:), it has a good glossary of terms, and an long list of sources and further reading.

Fiction: Nona the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. This whole series (the Locked Tomb) is twisty and atmospheric (bones!) and wonderfully weird, and I cannot wait for the next book to come out! (note: I noticed last night that in the title written at the top of each page for decoration 'the Ninth' has a strikeout through it. This is indeed relevant to the story, and it absolutely delighted me to see that detail, so now whenever I write the title of the book I add it. If you want to search online for the book, though, don't use the strikeout!)

AquaMarie

Paladin from Texas, USA
@Anek Oh, I love Becky Chamber's books! Long Way was great! :worried:

Non-fiction: Merchants of Doubt by Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway. Fascinating and infuriating in equal measures. Not one I can read before bedtime!

Fiction: The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. This is a re-read of one of my favorites - I love the worldbuilding! And Addison is one of the few authors that does the 'in over their head' theme in a way I like - the protagonist makes no secret of how he's out of his league, and does his best to catch up without losing his sense of self. I highly recommend this one!

AnZi

Heroine Posts: 4
I’m currently reading
- Cat out of hell by Lynne Truss
- The Organized Mind - Thinking straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel J. Levitin
and for my nursing studies
- Clinical Assessment (the least exciting) :(

Anek

Sorceress from Bavaria, Germany
Pronouns: She/her
"If the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember Cedric Diggory."
@Andi64 I'm eagerly waiting for its delivery!!

Fitato

Mystic from Kansas
"Hello"
I used to be an avid reader, for most of my life in fact. But it's been difficult for me the past few years. No matter what I try to read, or how many times I try, I just can't get into anything.

But the other day, I picked up one of my roommates' books - Celtic Myths and Tales - and it's the most of any book I've been able to read in a year. It's very interesting, I love the historical knowledge I pick up on the culture of the Celts, and the storytelling is pretty good too. I recommend it, and I'd love suggestions people have for any good mythological novels.

Shikari

Mystic from R'lyeh
"The wind breathes where it wills and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"
"Confessions of St Augustine" (actually listening to it on the Catholic classics podcast).
And reading the "Turn of the Screw" by Henry James.

PetiteSheWolf

Alchemist from France
Recently finished "Mr Mercedes", thanks to the introduction to Holly in the novels.
Excellent King. Though the killer's not King's best villain, Hodges, Jerome and Holly are great characters who develop page after page. Some criticize Hodge for not calling on his fellow policemen, but I can understand why, at the different steps - boredom, wondering if it is the real "mercedes killer", bad timing, and finaly raw desire for revenge. Makes me want to spend some more time in the company of Hodges and co!

Madlen

Honeybee from Germany
Trying to get back into reading and reading every night before going to bed. I know that reading is way more entertaining and rewarding than what I previously did (doomscrolling), but I don't know why, but it is still hard to just start reading a book, :shake: like it should be so easy.

Currently I'm reading Agatha Christie's Appointment with Death:mhearts: and I absolutely love it.

Madlen

Honeybee from Germany
I used to be an avid reader, for most of my life in fact. But it's been difficult for me the past few years. No matter what I try to read, or how many times I try, I just can't get into anything.

But the other day, I picked up one of my roommates' books - Celtic Myths and Tales - and it's the most of any book I've been able to read in a year. It's very interesting, I love the historical knowledge I pick up on the culture of the Celts, and the storytelling is pretty good too. I recommend it, and I'd love suggestions people have for any good mythological novels.
I totally feel that.

elie

Bard from Europe
Gosh, I'm still reading that book about the Neolithic Revolution. It never ends.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Hopefully quite soon, I'll be receiving a new book about weird borders around the world. Can't wait for something different :)

MadamMeow

Fae from Central NJ
"I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time, but Im too young to worry..."
I've been reading The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz. Took a bit of time off for awhile when my work got crazy busy for me, but try to get a chapter a day in.

Niika

Jedi from United States
Pronouns: she/they
I am slowly working my way through a new translation of The Iliad. I'm trying to read it out loud to myself because the translator, Dr. Emily Wilson, tried to create a version in English that recreated the experience of hearing the original performed.

I'm also listening to the first Witcher audiobook (Blood of Elves).