Back to Square One

TakingBabyStepsBack

"Keep fighting. Fortune will favor the patient and persistent."
I’m sorry you’ve been having trouble sleeping. If it helps you feel any better, I’ve been on the struggle a LOT, including but not limited to having to put a registered dietitian into my picture (I had little choice as my relationship with food is best described as a dumpster fire).

Here if you need us.

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Thank you! I am mostly (but not entirely) stressed about a big job I'm working on atm. It will pass and then I can deal with all the other nonsense, too.
I've had sleep problems for decades, it had been better lately but nothing is perfect.

It feels disappointing when I'm building new habits that I fail, sooner or later, and flip back into older habits. I used to use that as a stick to beat myself with, because I had "proved" that the new way didn't work "perfectly".
The good thing, however, is that starting again gets easier each time I learn things that work and/or build momentum for good habits.
These days, I use my "failures" to notice how much worse it feels now that I know better, i.e. they're extra fuel to keep going.

BrigidForged

Shieldmaiden from France
Pronouns: She/They
Building new habits is difficult and there is nothing wrong with trying multiple times at it! It’s good that you focus on the positive -aka that it gets a bit easier every time, if that if the case, at some point it will become so easy it will stick!

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
hello, I'm coming back maybe

10 Dec
Steps 6975

13 Dec
Steps 3799

14 Dec
Steps 5540

Today
Food :star::star:
Steps 5120
Workout streak: 3

The big job I was struggling with was completed, had good feedback, and I've invoiced today. The next big job has been announced. A new colleague I've been proofreading for had good things to say about it and paid me. Another colleague paid me for work I did for her.

I got a second sleep this morning for some reason, so the day has felt slow and treacly but I got a few things done anyway, incl. a walk to the library and a long overdue catch-up call, so I'm all tuckered out. More tomorrow. Night!

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I've had two attempts to respond to messages and lost them both, maybe I can get it together a third time!
Never hesitate to come back, even if you are gone long periods. We will all be waiting for you. ;)
Thank you! I appreciate it!

Getting good feedback for long and dreadful translations is always such a comforting reward! :happy:
Right, isn't it? Especially from a colleague/mentor I've known for a long time. Client feedback is nice too, but this guy can actually assess my work.
That, and the pay, make the struggle worth it.

Fremen

Shaman from Italy
"“Keep an eye on the staircases. They like to change.” Percy Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone."
Happy New Year
:fireworks:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Hello everyone, Happy New Year!
(if that's still cool to say on the 9th! gosh where does time go)
I am back!

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking through how I want this year to go. Before, I had specific pass-or-fail goals, now I am focusing more on systems and on goals that will take many daily steps to reach. I had to reconfigure and rethink a few things to make all that work.

One of my goals is to reach percentage achievement on good habits - specifically, sticking to my meal plan and getting in daily movement, whether that's a scheduled workout, walking, cycling (once I get a bike again!), or something else like a dance class.

And the overall motto is "Glow Up": I've spent the last three years or so on "Grow Up" (some family stuff, some difficult tasks that really stretched my endurance and resilience), so I want to get back to being the best version of myself, look better, and get out more to meet people again - especially once the decision has been made whether I'm staying in this apartment and this city, along with a bunch of tasks to do with settling here properly after being pretty much on the road for a while.

I can tell you I'm already sleeping better and dreaming more, so there's that.
And I am going to finish Foundation, damnit.

Today
Foundation Day 21, L2, no rest :v:
Food :star::star::star:

Shall I start yet another Workout Streak? Ah why not. It can't get worse...
Workout streak: 1

JohnStrong

Commando from Alberta
"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates"
Great to see you back! 😄👏

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Today
walk to market, 1h
Five Rites, 9 reps :v:
Foundation
Day 25, L2, 30 sec :v:
Steps 5970

Workout streak: 6

Jumping jacks? for me?? aww.
Actually had to go dig out a decent sports bra, and also go gently to start, one of my knees wasn't too happy.
Still, not bad considering my legs have been sore all day. I never want to start moving but it does actually feel better. Who knew etc.

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Today
walk, 30 min :v:
Foundation
Day 26, L2, 30 sec :v:
Steps 946 (morning walk not counted)

Workout streak: 7

Fell out of bed and went for a walk - ironically to pick up a pedometer someone in my neighbourhood was selling. Now I have to figure out my step length so I can use it...

[edit] since the overall distance doesn't matter to me, I'm going with its default 60 cm. My calculated length would be 65 cm, so if it's really wrong I'll change it later.
What's the betting I will forget to read off the total at least once... this type just counts until you reset it, so, uhh. Good luck to me.

[edit] I think the way I'll handle steps is to record whatever is on the counter after dinner or after my workout (last update of the day), then reset it, rolling over any later steps to the next day. It won't be 100% accurate in any case, but it should give an overall tendency.

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Today
walk to station / around big supermarket, no idea how long
Foundation Day 29, L2, 2 min :v:

Food :star::star::gstar:
Steps 7817

Workout streak: 10

A tough day and I very much ran out of motivation to deal with even one more thing, but my bestie said "watch Trendz to cheer up" and then I had to combine that with my workout as usual so here we are.

Last day of Foundation tomorrow! I can barely believe it. How many attempts have I had at that program? More than 3, I think.
Zero Hero next!

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Friday
Some exciting personal news, lots of running around and getting stuff organised.

Saturday
The rest day I had planned for Friday - just reading my favourite author and sofa time.

Today
Bored of resting, now sure what to do instead, back and forth with my sister whether I would need to spend just under 5h driving her around... (I offered, but she declined in the end).

I completed Foundation! Hooray! :proud::pose:

Foundation Day 30, L2, 30 sec :v: :completed:
Food :x::star:
Steps 4224 (since the last reading)

Workout streak: 1

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Thank you @Nightg0ddess @HellYeah @Froud! Whoa a second day of congrats, that makes me feel pretty good too.

Today
Five Rites, 11 reps :v:
Zero Hero Day 2 L2, <30 sec. :v:
Steps 633

Workout streak: 3

Hmm, a few minutes waiting for lunch to cook? Time to exercise! The down/up dog was tough today, for some reason. Guess I'll be on 11 reps for a while.
Crunch Kicks are a new one for me! Also, apparently I cannot get back up from an up/down plank? Who knew. Done on knees.

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Thank you @NancyTree!

Today
warmup :v:
Zero Hero Day 3 L2, 30 sec. :v:
Steps 1329 (huh? how.)

Workout streak: 4

Phew, am I glad that I'm not in a real minefield, I would fail so hard.

I'm struggling so much this week with getting up and getting anything done, no idea why that is. I just have to finish this one job by Fri! And there are some other tasks to wrap up as well...

Anyway, lots of good questions and answers in the January AMA, check it out if you haven't (yes I asked a question and it got nerdy! but it's about tendons so that's useful generally).

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Today
Five Rites, 11 reps :v:

Zero Hero Day 4 L2, :x:
Steps -

Workout streak: 5

If I start in Up Dog, it's easier to position my hands in the right spot to manage the transition. Which is good to know but also... Down Dog is just easy, I like to start there, boo etc. Oh well, nothing to stop me from hanging out there as long as I like.

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Today
warmup
Five Rites, 13 reps :v:
Zero Hero Day 4, L2, 1 min :v:
Posture Day 1 + 2 :v:

Steps 2706

Workout streak: 12

I don't know what it is today, but I can't get enough breath and/or have no energy in my legs. Hydration? Sleep? Sports bra? A mystery but that was tough.
[edit] changed the bra, hydrated a lot, nothing I can do about sleep but I guess I sat down rather than coming off other exercise: slightly better, still not great. Can't check endurance without redoing the whole thing, though. Gonna get out in the rain and walk to the shop.
[edit] the walk wasn't good either. Granted, going up and down the hill near my house didn't help, but even level ground was... not good. Still no idea what that's about but going to catch an early night and hope.

On the plus side I upped my 5R reps at last.

Last edited:

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
Yesterday
walk*
Posture Day 3 :v:

Steps 600*

Workout streak: 13
* I am deeply suspicious of this number, given I resurrected my Pokémon GO** account yesterday and went for a whole loop to the art museum and back PLUS whatever I did during the day. My working theory is that it undercounts when I'm moving slowly or erases steps if there are lots of breaks. I plan to walk the route without playing today and check what it actually is.
** Trainer no. 4577 1639 0356, friend requests accepted!

Today
Five Rites, 13 reps :v: (except down/up dog, I managed 7)
walk§
Posture Day 4 :v:

Steps §

Workout streak: 14
§ massive failure on both step counters, yay. No real idea what I got, I guess maybe 2k? 2.5k?

Sounds not great.. you sure you didn't catch any illness?
I am not sure about that at all! I'm trying to sleep extra in the hope of fighting it off as well as I can... apart from the aches, I have maybe a slightly stuffy nose. So far, so good.
I haven't had a single illness since late 2019 (or before, I don't remember) - thank you self-isolation and masking.

Last edited:

NancyTree

Valkyrie from The Netherlands
Hopefully it'll wear off soon.
And I sent you a Pokemon Go request 😊 I'm not playing much, I'm always lacking space in my backpack/pokemon storage to do anything 😅

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
I'm always lacking space in my backpack/pokemon storage to do anything
oh I hear you, I had a lot of things left over from last time and I couldn't accept any gifts at all! It was ridiculous, I was more than 100 over allowance. But it's okay to delete items you can get easily - in my case, Poke Balls and purple potions. No sense having hundreds of them when I can barely use 30.