Difference between side kick and turning kick in workouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
Pronouns: He/Him
Hey Bees, quick question: How confident are you that you know the difference between side-kick and turning kick used in a workout? Do you think you could benefit from further clarification? If yes of what sort, exactly?

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
I am not confident at all. You tried to explain the difference to me once before, but I'm still not certain that I get it.

Side kicks I understand. I was taught them in-person with an experienced instructor.
I have watched your turning kicks video in the DB video exercise library, however, many times and I still do not think I understand the kick. It looks to me like a side kick with the toes held in a position that is likely to get them broken.

Could you do a slo-mo video with an actual opponent? I think I am not understanding where your opponent is standing for the turning kick or what part of your foot is making contact.

Lupus Sheol

Warrior Monk from USA
Hello @Damer! I find the explanations on the Guide to Kicks incredibly well written and love your execution of the kicks on the videos. What I believe could help us understand the concept better is:
  1. A video breakdown of the movements, specially when it comes to ankle rotation, hip rotation and the relationship between those 2. It's not the same to read it or see it in an illustration as it's to see it executed by a human being while briefly explaining the how-to and giving some tips or addressing some concerns.
  2. A multi angle video (front/side/back/maybe top view) with the breakdown.
  3. Addressing, in a short list, common issues that a novice can encounter, especially what they will feel and when. Very often, specially the first time trying something, we can feel anxious about if that "stretch" or "pull" or "tension" is a good thing or it's something that we are doing "wrong" or "bad". Watching someone pointing out that "the tension that you're feeling in this muscle" - while pointing at the muscle, "is something normal." could help dissipate lot of the anxiety and make the learning process more effective.

Last edited:

LionAlpha

Guardian from Kavala, Greece
Side kick?
martial arts kick GIF

Turning kick?
chuck norris fun GIF by FOREAL

or am I wrong?

oneironaut

Alchemist from Astral Sea
"Are you dreaming?"
During my first run through fighter's codex ages ago I really struggled with turning kicks (even after watching the example video here) and made up a movement that wasn't ideal for many workouts until I realized I was definitely wrong. Lion's GIFs seem helpful maybe because they have a target (as Laura mentioned). I would benefit from additional resources and can almost guarantee I was one of the people to make a thread about this exact topic in the old hive.

Lupus Sheol

Warrior Monk from USA
That's exactly the idea @LionAlpha . Here are some examples from YouTube, I believe @Damer will deliver a cleaner and more elegant execution and will be more suited for people that doesn't intend to practice a martial art and just want to make the exercise. Off course it'll be consistent with Darebee's brand too.

Side Kick:

Turning Kick:

Not Multi-angle but its the idea:

Shikari

Mystic from R'lyeh
"The wind breathes where it wills and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"
I understood the difference b/t side and turning kicks before. That said, the new video does articulate the differences clearly. Always good to have a refresher!

Damer

Administrator
DAREBEE Team
Warrior Monk from Terra
@oneironaut thank you so much! I am thinking if anything else comes up which you guys could find useful in terms of understanding better just let me know in the comments here or tag me in posts as opportunity presents itself and I will try and get some more videos done. You guys do so much work the whole team loves seeing you all become better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.