Onwards and, well, onwards!

Maegaranthelas

Bard from The Netherlands
Pronouns: They/them
"I sing and I know things"
Thank you so much @Laura Rainbow Dragon @Syrius @aku-chan @Fremen @Mamatigerj and @Anek :thanks:
I'm so happy to be back in the swing of things.

December 26
Better Arms day 27 and 28
The Guardian day 29 (finally done with doing march steps for ages!) and 30 (100 goblins punched!). :completed:

and I forgot to press reply, so here's
December 27
An hour or thereabouts of walking
Better Arms
day 29 and 30 :completed:
Fit December, day 26 (3 sets), hall pass for day 22 and 27, and day 28 (5 sets). I'm caught up, yay!
Foundation Light day 23.

That's six hall passes used for Fit December, so I could just skip all the future ones if I don't feel like doing them :p
With all three challenges now finally completed, I wonder if I can manage to catch up on my programmes too, and start the year with a fresh batch :ohyes:
Foundation Light should be very doable, it's Totals that would require actual effort. 18 days left of that...
We'll see :muahaha:

Maegaranthelas

Thank you lovely bees :lovely:

Got an earlier start on the working out today.
 Totals days 12, 13, and 14 (push ups on the fourth step but in six sets of ten! Didn't think I would make the last set unbroken but I managed).
Then I was out for a few hours, of which an hour was walking.
Then  Totals day 16 (argh, planks!), 17 (aaargh, the lunges again was very rough xD) and made it through all the jumping jacks of day 18 but was too tired to move after 80 knees-to-elbows.

This was bonkers xD I'm expecting big DOMS tomorrow, so I probably won't finish the programme this year but I am proud of how much I managed today :yas:

Maegaranthelas

:thanku: @Laura Rainbow Dragon! Luckily I am still able to move and even use some strength. I take it as a sign I've been building up reasonably well in these last two months ^^

December 29
Totals the rest of day 18, day 19 (somehow managed the push-ups again despite the mild DOMS), day 20, day 21.
And oh no, a lot of burpees loom, so I temporarily avoid by looking at my other programmes.
After yesterday's 200 jumping jacks, I decide to take a hall pass for Fit December day 29, and day 30 looks no more fun so I also march step my way past that one. Just an ab workout left for tomorrow.
10 burpees. Foundation Light day 24. 30 more burpees and then dinner and a long rest . Did the other 40 burpees on the bottom step of the stairs to save my wrists. I think last time I couldn't do them on the floor at all, so yay!
That's  Totals day 22 done ^^ relaxed with FL 25
T day 23! I did the reverse angels with bent arms and limited range, but my right shoulder still doesn't want to stay in. Push-ups are getting more difficult now!
FL day 26, and finished the sitting twists for T24 as well.

So tomorrow we start with:
Fit December 31/31
Foundation Light 27/30
Totals 24/30 (will substitute long-shorts for the sit-ups, as they also tackle the long abs but don't mess with my SI joints as much).
I also want to look at my Workout Gift because my Gift-Giver put a lot of work into it and I am a little sad it's taking me so long to get to it. Everything just went a little awry for a bit, and now I am trying to catch up instead of easily having everything done way before newyear's. It's gonna happen though! There are so many cool workouts I want to read them all and try at least a few :hope:

Maegaranthelas

December 30
Twice about an hour of walking, went to the mill and the farm for some flour and milk =)
Fit December day 31! :completed:
Foundation Light day 27, 28, 29, and 30! :completed:
Totals day 24, 25 (lunges, squats, and jump squats in one? cruel! well done!), 26, 27, 28 (aargh, planks!), and 29 (more planks! Aargh more lunges!)

That leaves for tomorrow only the final burpees day of Fit December, and if possible my workout gift!
But I may be somewhat shattered xD

So proud of what I managed to pull off in these past few days though. I really didn't think I would get this far :lovely:

Maegaranthelas

:thanks: @Mamatigerj @Laura Rainbow Dragon @Syrius @mavie @Fremen

December 31
Totals day 31!!! I did all the burpees :completed:
And now it's time to go out and find me some Oliebollen, the traditional Dutch New Year's snack.
Mum and I usually bake them ourselves, but this year it wasn't an option so luckily it seems local scouts are selling them on the village green.
Yay semi-rural living.

I would love to get to the workout gift, but right now it is very much up in the air how many guests I will have today.
If I can't get to it now, it will be somewhere in the first few days of the new year :love:

Maegaranthelas

Still not had the chance to do the workout gift, but I did make a bit of a plan for what I want to achieve this month!

I am sticking with lower level programmes for now, but with the silly amount of push-ups and punches I did in the last few days of the year, I realised i would really like to progress my push-ups. Maybe this year I can get to some reps of full push-ups, to give myself more of a sense of bodily control.

30 days of LIIT
Square One
Arms of Steel Chair Edition
Power Punch Challenge
Wall Push-Ups, though I will be doing them on the stairs again, as that's the level I am currently at.
I would also love to do a walking challenge but the weather is atrocious. I rained for almost all of december and looks to rain for the foreseeable future :')

January 1
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups day 1

Maegaranthelas

January 3
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups day 3

More Storm! There were a few hours of dry but I had a guest, and then it was storming again xD

But the Secret Santa Workout was so much fun! Singing to accompany my exercises was a blast.
First trying to remember what gorillas sound like while being folded in half, then deciding butterflies go FLAP, and finally trying to sing while lying curled up on my back for pig pose xD

Hey Diddle Diddle is one of those songs I didn't remember I remembered, but it was very calming to move to.

Jumping out into plank pose for the second knees and back in for the second toes, so creative, I love it!!!

I had never heard Once There Was a Snowman, but it does give many opportunities to rhythmically squat =D

Yay, singing is one of my favourite workouts!

I'm afraid I still owe you the walk, I hope tomorrow will finally be somewhat dry so I can complete the final part.

ss2023_Maegaranthelas.jpg

This was a super fun and creative gift, I learned a few new yoga poses! Thank you, Secret Santa <3

I shall also contemplate who my delightful gift-giver might Bee :ohyes:

Edit: And in case my giftee is on the lookout: I hope your workout was a breeze :move:

Last edited:

Maegaranthelas

January 4
Walking, as it was finally dry!
50 squats on stream, did a nice set of 30 during downtime as well as the ones requested by chat ^^

30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups day 4

The walking left me really exhausted today, and it took a while for me to recover. Maybe I was really dehydrated beforehand and didn't notice.
I will try to focus extra on drinking water and squash tomorrow!

Maegaranthelas

January 5
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups day 5
I did the first three push-ups of the first two sets on the third step instead of the fourth, and it made everything so much harder afterwards :muahaha:
But they were in good form with a reasonable depth, so I am counting it as a win!

Power Squats day 2
and since I wanted something else to break up the arm workouts:
Core Control day 1 and 2.
Nice and light to give myself a productive break.

Also, I am very early with my workout today, so if I feel up to it this evening I may do a little more.
And if it dries out at some point, I may even walk!

Maegaranthelas

I did! I guess that makes this officially Walking day 2 :p
And to catch up slightly with my non-arm challenges, I did Power Squats and Core Control day 3.

Edit: My brain was being very mean to me again today, but I treated myself to a small order or books :lovely:

Maegaranthelas

January 6
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups day 6
Core Control days 4, 5 and 6, so that one is caught up!
Power Squats day 4
Walking day 3. It was in a store, so not exactly fast, but I count it as a win because I was very tempted to just stay inside all day :p

Maegaranthelas

January 7
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control day 7
Power Squats day 5, 6, and 7 so I am caught up!
Walking day 4. I went to a museum! There was an exhibition on British Fashion, with a particular focus of placing Vivienne Westwood pieces in the context of historical pieces that inspired her. It was wonderful and now I want to make so many more things!

Maegaranthelas

January 8
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 8

We've had a temperature drop of over 10C on the weekend. Because it rained for 1,5 months, now it's hovering just below freezing but with a far colder 'real feel.' Everything is cold but still wet. It's not fun. But I was brave for a little walk. It was exactly 15 minutes and no longer because brrrr. Walking day 5!

The unexpected workout of the day was vacuuming a large carpet I have been gifted. That takes so much effort! But maybe my legs will no longer hurt as much if they aren't near cold floor all the time.

It is the end of an era... Today I saw the news that a leading language-learning platform decided to fire most of its translation staff and the rest only gets to work on checking the AI translations. :whaa:
They had already removed the most useful feature ever, which was the vast database of ACTUAL HUMANS WHO KNOW THE LANGUAGE and explained things on the forums. So I have decided to stick to my principles and delete the app. And thereby lose my 700+ days streak.

I'll just find different ways to learn languages (was currently back on French). People are more important than things.

Syrius

Valkyrie from The Sonoran Desert
Pronouns: she/her
"Energy and persistence conquers all things. -Benjamin Franklin"
It is the end of an era... Today I saw the news that a leading language-learning platform decided to fire most of its translation staff and the rest only gets to work on checking the AI translations. :whaa:
Noooo!!!! :sad: I hadn't heard yet. I agree, people are more important than things.

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
This is horrible news. AI isn't good enough yet, not that I favor it but let's take it from costs POV. It's way too soon, how is it supposed to get better?

Maegaranthelas

I agree @Gandhalfit , it's definitely not good enough yet. I kept wondering if I should buy a subscription, but then I thought back to how the app was a decade ago, and how much worse the experience is now. I have done a bit of Finnish for fun, knowing it is a very difficult language, and only through the forums did I actually understand how the partitive works. I don't trust a large language model to be able to explain the nuances of grammar in especially the less big/more complex languages.

Plus I find it very scummy how they hide their prices. Minute long ads but no price to be seen. Click through to a very long page that still doesn't have the price listed.

I guess I get to learn in different ways now, and have some free time in the mornings and evenings. My mum has a bunch of resources I can use to learn French, as she has been working on hers for years (and is very good!). And I do have a whole lot of books I could read instead ^^

Maegaranthelas

January 9
Walking day 6 to the farm and back, got some milk. I bundled up a lot, even found my legwarmers :p
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 9

I am changing it up with the wall push-ups challenge. I was trying to do them on the fourth step of the stairs, but I just cannot do that many reps unbroken, let alone for five sets with minimal rest. So I realised I either need to drastically increase the rest time, or change my angle. I did my first set today against the wall to see what it felt like, and it's such a breeze by comparison. So then I tried and Ii am just about able to get a decent form on the fifth step of the stairs. This is definitely harder than the wall, but has a much larger range of motion (because I don't have to worry about facehugging the wall) and I can actually do multiple sets of 14 unbroken :yas:
On a day where my shoulders aren't acting up, I may try doing the first set on 4 and the rest on 5. We'll see ^^

Maegaranthelas

January 10
Walking day 7 to physio, shoulder still feels borked but we'll see. I guess the muscles have been so tight my shoulder forgot how to hold my arm up.
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 10

Also I forgot to update last night before going to bed, and decided against getting yet more screentime when I should be asleep :p

Maegaranthelas

January 11
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 11

In the spirit of self-compassion, I did not go outside. The cold is really doing a number on me, and I had a bit of a rough time this day.
Luckily the evening was much better! I made leek & potato soup for the first time (not bad, very nice with toast) and then gamed a bit. 30 stream-squats ^^

I usually have to lie in bed for quite a while after waking up because my body rebels if I get up to quickly.
This time used to be taken up by language-learning, but this morning I finally dove into my long-awaited re-read of Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber :worried:

Last edited:

Maegaranthelas

January 11
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 12

Still exhausted, so I skipped the walking again. No point in hurting myself through exercise just because I am tired of being tired :p

I read another chapter of Bullshit Jobs this morning.

The rest of the day ended up being mostly crocheting while i watched youtube because I just had no energy to do other things.
Almost done with my blanket now, so I guess that's a silver lining ^^

Maegaranthelas

January 13
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 13
forgot to update because I was tired :')

January 14
30 Days of LIIT, Square One, Arms of Steel CE, Power Punch, Wall Push-ups, Core Control, Power Squats day 14
I did a little bit of walking, but not enough for me to count it towards the challenge.
I did the Healthy Gut yoga workout, as my core seems to be far too tight right now.
Why do I always forget that the light yoga workouts feel nice even when I am tired?

Maegaranthelas

Yes @Iron Valkyrie crocheting is great :D I have now finished my blanket :fireworks:
Blocking will have to wait until spring or summer, because it would take weeks to dry in the current season and I don't have the space to waste on it xD

Thank you @Deadoks , my body does this to me from time to time. Sometimes there's a reason, often it's just part of living with a variable chronic illness :')

But in happier news, I am making good reading progress! Only about 100 pages of actual text left to go in Bullshit Jobs :hooray: