To Forge an Ironmaiden...

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Pronouns: She/her
Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 21, 5 sets, 1min 40sec rest.

Brain: Ugh, I'm dying!
Body: What are you lying around for? We've got two more sets to go...

Brain: Are you crazy?! You want to do this on level 3?!
Body: :muahaha: Come'on, getup.

2 more sets of the Olympian, 1min 40sec rest.

Brain: *gasps* can't... breathe... can't ...
Body: *kicks at brain with toe*. Psst, we still have to do 5 sets of Fit December.

Brain: *Starts crying, drags self up* No, Please. I CAN'T!
Body: Who's doing this? Me or you? I still have juice left. Must be that banana from last night's dinner.

✔Fit December Day 13, 5 sets, 1min rest.

Brain: Oh my word, I actually did it...
Body: I told you you could.

✔EotD
✔5 Minute Strength. 11lb Dumbells.
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 13
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 6
✔5 Minute Empty Bowl Meditation

In other news for yesterday:

Writing:

🚫50 words
✔300 words
🚫500> words.

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

Reading for Writing Inspiration:

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 25%
⏺In Death: Big Jack - 63%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 3%
🎵Terry Pratchett - The Folklore of Discworld Chpt 1/20

Have a lovely day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I couldn't sleep last night. My body was probably too tired after yesterday. (Why do I do these things to myself?) So today's workout happened at 2 A.M this morning. 😅

Well, this just lined up nicely. Push-ups in Olympian followed by Planks in Fit December. Yipe.

Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 22, 3 sets, 2min rest. All push-ups replaced with the knee-version, except those in the first set where I was testing the waters.
✔Fit December Day 14, 3 sets, 2min rest.
✔EotD (Done later in the day)
🚫5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells. (Skipped because I'd already done a bunch of lunges and my left ankle felt tender again)
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 14
🚫Dead Hang Challenge Day 7, because Epic DOMS

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
🚫500> words.

No writing or reading, I was just too wiped out after doing that workout on level 3 AND topping it with a bunch of chores.

I did, however, copy all my writing to my computer, because it's more convenient to use Word's Thesaurus than having to use two apps on my phone side-by-side (writer and thesaurus). But that doesn't really count as writing, does it? 😄

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

Well yesterday I did my WOE to a T, but somehow, and I'm guessing it was the extra activity, I was still hungry. 🤷‍♀️

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 25%
⏺In Death: Big Jack - 63%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 3%
🎵Terry Pratchett - The Folklore of Discworld Chpt 1/20

I sense today will be a reading day...

Have a lovely day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Hmm, maybe I'm just a bit old-fashioned... :LOL:

View attachment 2812
Ah, so I'm not the only nut who uses two. Sometimes I use the offline Thesaurus on my phone alongside Word's. More options. =)

I've figured out part of the stalling in my writing has to do with me trying to write in this high voice to fit with the medieval-ish world. Not doing that anymore.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 23, 4 sets, 1min rest.
✔Fit December Day 15, Hall Pass 3/10
✔EotD
✔5 Minute Strength. 11lb Dumbells. 15 sec rest between set 3 and 4.
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 14
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 7

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
✔500> words.

Diet:

🚫20% Done
✔50% Done (switched stuff around too much to keep the structure)
🚫100% Done

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 26%
⏺In Death: Big Jack - 70%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 4%

Not doing that audiobook anymore, I'll look for another when I can muster the courage to switch on my computer again. That one's too much of a history lesson.

Have a lovely day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
This morning I realized again that I'm one of those people who can't manage to do deep belly breathing during crunches or any exercise constricting the abdominal muscles.

The only way I've managed to breathe at all during them is by doing Ujjayi breathing, which is a yoga pranayama technique where you breathe with the back of the throat constricting slightly. So you're making the sound of ocean waves with your breath.

My husband asked me this morning, shocked, is this your rest day?!

Yup. Yes sir, it is.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 24,
✔Fit December Day 16, 4 sets
🚫EotD
✔5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells.
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 16
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 7

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
✔~2500 words.

Diet:

🚫20% Done
✔50% Done (too much coffee, too little water)
🚫100% Done

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 27%
⏺In Death: Big Jack - 73%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 5%

Our power is off today because of a faulty substation. So won't be online that much, I have to save my phones battery. =)

Have a lovely day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I can't believe I'm almost finished with The Olympian?! By the gods, what happened? I haven't finished a program in ages...

And I don't know what to do next... I was thinking Shadebound, but it doesn't seem to me like it incorporates enough strength training. (Am I just looking at it wrong?)

So now I'm trying to decide between Pathfinder+... and Carbon & Dust, which has long been on my to-do list because it's set in a world similar to two of my novels, I am Max and The Leap.

I've attempted C&D a few times, but found it too difficult each time. But I could adapt it, right? Each time I get to the scene where... [will not insert spoiler here] ... and then I can't continue. I've done that scene three times!

Also it has high knees... which is my favorite...

Le sigh. Maybe I'll go with C&D afterall, and Pathfinder+ after that.

I may have gone overboard this month, but I have regained a lot of my conditioning in a very short time. I dare say the exhaustion was worth it...

I don't really have a plan yet for 2024 fitness wise, not sure if it's worth it to make one with the way I operate. You all know what my commitment looks like... 😂

It might suit me better to just pick a program that is an all-rounder each time instead of dedicating a month to cardio, and the next to strength etc.

And, added to that, if that work I've talked about comes through, I may have access to a gym and a PT. So may not do Darebee programs anymore, but I'll still post here daily.

Or maybe I'll just do add-on things, like the monthly challenge, EotD, or add-on programs. And you can be sure I'll be wearing that Darebee tank top of mine...😁 I suspect I'll always be a Bee.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I'm skipping 5min Strength to give my knees a break with the lunges. They've been feeling a little funky the past few days when I walk, sort of like bone rubbing bone, but it doesn't hurt or anything.

I actually cycle too during the day, well, when I'm watching TV. Which I'm not adding here because I'm not diligently watching the time.

It's around ~30-90min, but not all at once. Only when I watch the Home Channel. Don't laugh, I want a beach house like that.

And sometimes I cycle while reading too.

Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 25, 3 sets, 2min rest.

I wanted to do 5, but then I got this weird sting below my ribs on the right. And pain in my right shoulder. Which I'm sure is just oxygen shortage.

2min rest

✔Fit December Day 17, 5 sets, 1min rest.

3min rest

Added 2 more sets of the Olympian, 1min 30sec rest.

At this point I realize I've been doing double sets of split jacks... 80 instead of 40... because of wrong counting. And my brother said that my OCD will never let me down... no wonder this workout was hell incarnated. 🤦‍♀️

✔EotD
🚫5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells.
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 17
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 9 (Did not skip day 8...actually that's what I did yesterday. I mis-typed)

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
✔500 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 28%
⏺In Death: Big Jack - 81%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 8%

Have a lovely day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Seems I'm making a habit of getting up at midnight to exercise. And then not sleeping for the rest of the night. Seems to happen after a particularly hard day of exercise.

And exercising more at night is not the solution...

Because then I'm tired for the rest of the day.

I'm probably going to miss *some* of the snowball fight in the coming days.

Today though, I might not make it to the snowball fight, since I have a ton of final stuff to do in town before my brother arrives this weekend. I'm NOT going into town again until AFTER Christmas. Not dealing with that mob.

Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 26, 3 sets, 2min rest.
✔Fit December Day 18, 5 sets, 1min rest.
✔EotD
🚫5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells, because knees
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 18
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 10, Attempted 40sec, made 26.

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
🚫500 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

Have a fantastic day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Lots of chores today to prepare for the weekend.

Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 27
✔Fit December Day 19, 4/10 Hall Pass
✔EotD [ugh! My back...]
✔5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 19
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 11

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
🚫500 words

Diet:

✔20% Done ... best not to get into details...
🚫50% Done
🚫100% Done

Have a fantastic day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
So I'm adding a "mystery challenge" to my list.

It's not really a mystery and it is a Darebee challenge, but it's a hard one and I'm too ashamed to name it, in case I won't complete it. I've never completed it before.

So after 30 days, when I've completed it, yay! Then you'll all find out what it was. But for now it's the cliffhanger for the next month.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I am happy to see that I am not the only one who feels too tired to sleep!
And yeah I actuall yheard something that sharing plans can be counterproductive because then you feel you are already on the way there and put less work into it.

For me the fear of failing in the eyes of others gets to me. It's the reason I'm not fond of sharing plans with people around me... although these days I'm more like, "eh, I don't give a sh!t what you think. My body, my life." 😂

I'm turning 31 next year. It's high time I started shoving off other people's "helpful" opinions.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
To keep myself away from all the holiday sugar bombs, I've made date cookies!

Recipe:

Ingredients:
- 2 cups homemade oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional add-ins: chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or dried fruit

Instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.

3. In a food processor or blender, blend the pitted dates until they form a sticky paste-like consistency. Add the applesauce, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract, and blend until the mixture is well combined.

4. Pour the wet date mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until a thick dough forms. If desired, fold in any optional add-ins at this stage.

5. Spoon tablespoon-sized portions of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them apart to allow for spreading.

6. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon or your palm.

7. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.

8. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Although I marked it otherwise, I did the last combat day of The Olympian yesterday so that I could have the active rest day today, foolishly assuming that I would actually rest apart from the ab-work.

Well, guess what? It's Secret Santa day, and it totally slipped my mind! It means doing my gift as well as the one I gifted, which requires [clue] some rhythm and coordination both of which I don't posses an ounce of in my body.

While I post now, I'll definitely complete mine and will check in later again to see what it was, so marking it "complete".

Also, I cannot believe I've actually finished a program again. It's brilliant! In the ye olden days when I completed them more often, I wouldn't have claimed the badge if I didn't complete it on the level I started with. So wouldn't take the badge if I decided to do level 2 and ended up doing half at level 1, like I did here.

But I think that I'll take that badge, because it's been a long while since I was able to stick to something so strenous.

Workouts:

✔The Olympian Day 28 :completed:
✔Fit December Day 20
✔EotD, split into 2 sets with a 15 second break.
🚫5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 20
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 12, attempted 45sec, managed 25.
✔My Secret Santa Gift
✔My giftee's Secret Santa Gift

To-do List for January:

✴Shadebound (Yes, I decided on this one after all, because I'll still be doing 5-minute strength, and probably incorporate a strength challenge as well.)
✴Core Challenge (haven't decided which one yet)

✔Mystery Challenge Day 1 (completed yesterday, I need to see how the whole day goes before marking it complete, and I normally post in the morning)

Writing:

🚫50 words
✔300 words
🚫500 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

⏺The Oversight Trilogy - 29%
⏺Son of the Morning: Banners of Blood - 9%

Have a terrific day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Dear Santa,

I know my letter is way late. But I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful workout you've gifted me with! Screenshot_20231220-195027_Gallery.jpg

You did such a wonderful job in capturing my all-over-the-place-ness with this gift, and it was a blast to do!

And I wanted to thank you for your note about my writing. I'm very self-concious about it, and it's so nice to hear that you think I'm a good writer. It's hard for me to find people to talk to about my characters and my stories, who are genuinely interested. So thank you!

I'm not sure if you intentionally picked out easier workouts because you know I'm a bit nutty and often set up crazy challenges for myself. Or because you're on a lower level and know you need to do it too.

Maybe you intended for this workout to be a rest day... If that was the case, well, I've just ruined it.

Please do not be offended! The variety in this was so interesting I couldn't resist challenging myself😂 so your lower-level workouts kept me from dying!

I decided to do 5 sets of all your workouts! Except the yoga...

You do NOT have to do it like that! I'm just in one of my Nevetharine-days...

1 set of Morning Yoga Flow.

This was nice... **curls toes and sighs** I'd forgotten how nice this is...

Cardio Step - 5 sets, 30sec rest. The coordination in this... Oh my word, my brain has been liquified. I'm sure I did half of it wrong even if I did it slowly.

Just Keep Swimming - 5 sets, 30sec rest. If only all these jacks counted towards the 500 snowballs of yesterday....

2min rest

Clean Sweep - 5 sets, 45sec rest

At this point, Max came out to play.

Who is Max?

Max is the main protagonist in one of my novels, I am Max, a story about a young man who escaped imprisonment in a facility who carries out human experimentation.

He nearly dies, but then gets remade into a half-human, half-cybernetic soldier. (See, this is why I want to do Carbon and Dust still...)

Max has no limits, in fact, the people who remade him had to install failsafes in his systems so he doesn't fry them, because his past has turned him into a masochist.

So when Max comes out to play, he just keeps going and going even if the workout gets tough. P.s, he's stronger than the Vikings...20231221_085231.jpg

2min rest

Victory Lap - 5 sets, 20sec rest

2min rest

Workouts:

✔Fit December Day 21, 5 sets, 1min rest
✔EotD
✔Power Squat Challenge Day 21
✔Dead Hang Challenge Day 13

To-do List for January:

✴Shadebound
✴Daily Abs

✔Mystery Challenge Day 2

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
✔~2000 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done

Have a terrific day Bees!

Last edited:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Welp. Okay so the Mystery Challenge seems a bust. At least until after Christmas.

Because I'm going to be heavily scrutinized for not eating cheesecake and/or carrot cake.

That alone should give you all a good indication of what exactly this mystery challenge was 😂

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Now I'm going to be the stereotypical no-sugar New Year resolutionist 😂😂(is that a word?)

I should clarify that I'm talking about refined sugar. Not fruit sugar/honey/stevia, although I'm cutting down on the stevia.

I didn't think these people would bring cake! My brother is not typically a dessert person. Blah.

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
I'm starting prep on lunch early today. It's 08:30 here right now. My brother is arriving soon, and I'm making homemade pizza.

I've found this easy dough online that's basically just flour and yoghurt, and salt, I think.

So frying up all the veg ahead of time so I'm not overwhelmed with a world of work 2 hours before lunch.

My brother is bringing sausages for the pizza.

It's a high calorie thing but I'm figuring since I'm making everything from scratch, it's at least healthier than anything he'd buy in a shop.

I wish I had this idea with the cheese/carrot cake... that way I wouldn't have broken the challenge because I would've used honey to sweeten it. Heard about it too late, though.

Anyhoo, my lower belly (well, my ovaries) hurt after this workout, because, well you know. But I didn't want to skip another day. Too scared I'd break the habit.

Not looking forward too much to this visit for several reasons in order of importance:

1. My brother likes to irritate my parrot by scaring him. He thinks it's a joke, a game, and since he's the legitimite child and I'm the adopted freak, I'm not allowed to say anything that would hurt his feelings. 🙄 Hence, why I have to eat the cake.

2. It's hard to talk to someone who thinks they know it all. 😒

3. My brother wasn't very accepting of my hubby in the beginning. And we got into a fight because of him. Now it's somewhat better, or more civilized at least. But everytime he comes to visit, my grandfather has this strange holier-than-thou attitude towards us for a week after he's gone. Then he forgets about it again.

Ah the Christmas cheer of family! ✨🎆

Workouts:

✔Fit December D22 AND D23, 5 sets, 1min rest
✔EotD
✔5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells
✔Power Squat Challenge D22 AND D23
✔Dead Hang Challenge D14, attempted 50 seconds, made 20. AND D15

To-do List for January:

✴Shadebound
✴Core Challenge

Writing:

🚫50 words
🚫300 words
✔500 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
✔50% Done - Ate the carbs. All the carbs. (Mostly fruit, but my body was craving lots of energy)
🚫100% Done

Have a fabulous day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
This is the link =) @Laura Rainbow Dragon

Sorry for just pasting it like that, but this particular browser of mine (Opera Mini) doesn't want to use any of the formatting stuff.

It was delicious, but I had to bake mine longer because I doubled the recipe, and it made more dough than I thought, and I didn't want to roll it out so I just made a square pizza. It ended up with a thicker crust, but was still yummy!

The base especially was nice and crispy, because you have to take the time to preheat the oven for a good long time with the pan in it.

It's not stressful to me directly, but I stress out because of my parrot. Amazons are pretty high strung and it just makes me mad that people are so inconsiderate of animals, purposely provoking them.

I've moved Peanut's cage against the wall now, and put a towel over the top (even in 39°C), just so my brother wouldn't move his hands over the cage the way he does.

And well, when he starts on his know-it-all monologues, I just kind of zone out and lose track of the conversation. Because its pretty one-way then. 😂

Laura Rainbow Dragon

Bard from Canada
"Striving to be the change."
Thanks for the link. I will definitely check that out.
it just makes me mad that people are so inconsiderate of animals, purposely provoking them.
That kind of behaviour makes me more than mad. If anyone came into my home and deliberately harassed Shelby, I would kick them out. I don't care if the harasser was the king of England. He'd be out on his ear.
I've moved Peanut's cage against the wall now, and put a towel over the top (even in 39°C), just so my brother wouldn't move his hands over the cage the way he does.
:u:
And well, when he starts on his know-it-all monologues, I just kind of zone out and lose track of the conversation. Because its pretty one-way then. 😂
:hug:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Workouts:

✔Fit December D24 Hall Pass
✔EotD
✔Power Squat Challenge D24
✔Dead Hang Challenge D16, attempted 52sec, made 29

To-do List for January:

✴Shadebound
✴Core Challenge

Writing:

✔50 words. Well, got the bare minimum done. 😂 Progress, no matter how small.
🚫300 words
🚫500 words

Diet:

🚫20% Done
🚫50% Done
✔100% Done. That Pizza was about an entire meal in one. So, according to my platter-system, it did work out after all. Especially with the soup last night.

I'm just trying to keep that plate format in mind with meals. 1/2 veg, 1/4 carbs and protein. And 1 tablespoon healthy fat.

Have a fabulous day Bees!

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Chapter 25 of Shadowborn. Just because. 😂 The Elven Council, the Medhir, are still looking for the Shadowborn twin, who is starting to come into his power.

Let the randomness continue.

"And you had this vision when?" Aventus combined the Newberry juice with the Igsalum Shroom extract in carefully controlled drops. It was a new experiment, one that should be quite the hallucinogenic.

The putrid smell alone was enough to fire up Kai's gag reflex, which was why he kept his nose deep inside his cup of tea, or held it higher than usual so the floral scent of the herbs could at least mask the smell of his grandfather's concoction.

"When we exposed the fraud," he answered. "What do you think it means?"

The mixture turned from dark blue to a murky green, the color of sewage, and Kai wondered if that was a sign that it had gone downhill.

Aventus waved away the smoke that wafted up to his face. Even the garden sprites coughed.

"Well, it was your vision. What do you make of it?"

Kai displayed a rare smile. "I don't think Darius is a typical Shadowborn. He grew in the light of his twin."

"And you think that makes him incorruptible?"

"Perhaps," Kai shrugged, and sipped tea. "It seems to me that he has his own light. It could guide him when he ventures in the darker realms,"

"That's not all you've thought about," Aventus replied. He took tongs, and carefully lifted what appeared to be a lump of coal into his brew. It fell in with a hiss, and dissolved into nothing in the potent liquid. "You think it's a means of proving to the masses that Shadowborn are not all evil."

"The many dead who've they've provided a merciful reprive know they're not evil,"

"Aye," said Aventus, "but they don't speak of it to the living."

"Some of them do."

Aventus beheld his grandson over tiny glasses that were round as the moon. He wondered, while nearing the middle of his middle-age, when the man planned to be wed. Being married to his sword didn't count. "Our biggest concern now is finding them in time to keep them from getting killed. Have you spoken to Damon about this vision of yours?"

A pink sprite fluttered on over and perched on Kai's shoulder, started braiding a lock of his hair. He threw a glare at the tiny creature, but at it's solemn face, he softened and allowed it to continue. It was still a youngling.

"No," he answered, "Damon knows, consciously or not. He has to be able to sense the difference in Darius. That's why he took to him so quickly after the initial scrap they had, why he's so furiously trying to protect him now from the Medhir. But,"

A puff of smoke exploded out of the concoction. Kai bounced in his seat. Aventus coughed.

"But?" Aventus noticed a certain glimmer in Kai's eye. It might've been because he had to rub smoke out of his. Tears were obscuring his sight. "You've had another vision," he answered his own question.

"I saw him die," Kai's face remained stoic. Aventus slowly lowered the wooden spoon in his hand, which contained some animal's liver. "Darius. In the vision, a cloaked figure attacks him from behind." Kai shook his head. "I can't see where he is."

The sprites' chorus between the leaves in the garden became louder. Some of the alchemic potions on the shelves fleetingly glowed in vibrant color in reaction to the musical tones of their voices.

"You want to go after him," Aventus realized. "What makes you think Damon will allow it?"

"Because I'm the best huntsman in Arcania. I'm a better tracker than him, and he knows it. Beyond that, the Medhir will observe his movements very carefully for the next few days. They won't care about me. It's mutiny, for all they know."

"Taken to the Prince, have you?" Aventus asked with a slight smile.

"To be expected," Kai stood, leaving his empty teacup for the sprites to clean up. If he didn't leave the putrid smell of this alchemical laboratory now, the tea threatened to come back up. "I shadowed his brother for the longest time. Why wouldn't I do the same for him?"

They said their goodbyes, with Aventus well aware that Kai would take leave that very night. And when he'd shut the door behind his back, he returned to his potion.

With a final addition of peach skin, the potion blew up once more, this time the smoke lingered in the air before Aventus, and in it appeared a face.

He appeared to be one with the untamed forest. A face bearing countless lines etched by wisdom, sat atop a wiry frame hidden beneath tattered forest garb, which had wisps of moss and leaves clinging to the weathered cloak.

Strands of long, unkempt silver hair cascaded down, partially braided with the skulls of tiny birds. Each skull was a haunting memorial to their lives, woven into his tresses with reverence.

A beard, matted and tangled, spilled forth from his chin, complimenting overgrown eyebrows that overarched eyes of piercing emerald.

"Alderbane Bramblewick," Aventus greeted his fellow Arcani.

Those bushy brows furrowed. "Aventus?" Answered a shaking voice. "By the gods, it's been years my friend,"

Aventus couldn't help but smile. Alderbane was an eccentric, and even while he belonged more to the woods than to society, there was no kinder soul who walked the soil of Thalor.

"That it has been," agreed Aventus. "I think now is the time for me to claim that favor you owe me."

"Ahh,"

A small bird perched in Alderbane's messy tresses, on the top of his head. He fiddled through his beard before extracting, from some hidden place between the hair, a handful of seeds. The bird moved from his crown to his palm, and eagerly pecked at them.

"I need you to watch over someone for me. They shouldn't be too hard for you to find."

A streak of terror blew over Alderbane's face. "In the towns?" He whispered, as though monsters would hear.

Aventus gave a deep chuckle. "No, my dear friend. There, I'm afraid, they'll have to fend for themselves. I would never ask that of you."

"Phew, thank the goddess Daia. She wouldn't let me leave her realm with those monsters in town cutting down her trees so,"

Nothing upset Alderbane as much as inconsiderate Arcani, Aventus knew.

"I must ask you to look after a Galaeron Prince for me. One of them."

Alderbane's eyes widened. "The whispers of the crickets were truth? He has returned?"

"With a Terra, no less."

"Oh dear. You know I cannot go into Vaharith. Despite my last name, I can't stand those giant brambles shielding their tree nests!" If he'd had a stump of wood, he'd smash his fist on it. "Have you seen all the skeletons lining them? Good thing there's a Terra with them, they wouldn't know how to pass through the brambles otherwise."

Alderbane was well-known for his rambling, Aventus remembered now.

"She does not remember her roots. She comes from the other realm, like the Prince."

"It matters not," he swayed a finger, "the path is ingrained in her blood. She will know it. Now the Whispering Mother," Alderbane continued, and those hard lines in his face softened again, "what a perfectly charming lady she is. She's a beauty for her age, you know. Seraphina," he sighed her name and let his eyes fall closed. "I wonder why she never married?"

"As I wonder when my grandson will settle."

Alderbane's face dropped, then morphed into a sort of non-chalant expression. "Ah. Wed to duty, is he?"

"Will you let your birds watch over the boy, Alderbane?" Aventus cut to the chase.

"Of course! Anything for a Prince."

As the first tendrils of morning light seeped through the cobblestone streets of Aeacasius, the city began to stir, casting off the veil of slumber.

The air was tinged with the fragrance of dew-covered flowers, freshly baked bread, and a hint of the distant, earthy scent of the great forest that hugged the outskirts of the city's walls. A gentle breeze carried with it melodies of awakening birds.

A few stragglers careened out of the tavern, clutching empty mugs that once held ale. They grumpily grunted at the sapphire sky, realizing that it was time yet again to resume duty, and bid farewell to the joyous revelry of the night before.

The stables had a rustic charm. Sturdy wooden beams supported the thatched roof above, sunbeams streamed through the small, grated windows, and cast dappled patterns across the hay-littered floor. The walls were decorated with various bits of tack, bridles, and saddles. Brushes against hooves created a rhythmic clatter, and the creaking of leather tack accompanied the morning's symphony.

As Kai saddled his horse, anticipation rippled through his blood. It had been a few years since he had gone off on his own. But the vision he had in the night had shaken him to his core.

It was his charge, his self-chosen mission, to take care of the Princes. He was indebted to Damon for accepting him as family when his own was lost to the elves, even if Damon didn't expect it of him.

They were brothers to him, even if he was of a much lower standing. And Damon knew him better than anyone else.

So when he heard him speaking behind his back, he wasn't entirely surprised. "Where are you off to? And without informing me,"

"I'm going hunting." Kai answered simply, strapping in the saddle.

And just like brothers, he was the only one who could disregard Damon's rule without getting his skull burned off his shoulders. Because deep down, Damon knew he was good for it. And maybe, he even took note of the older Arcani's wisdom.

"You know I need you here," Damon countered.

"You have Remy."

"What hunt could possibly be so important?"

Kai mounted his ebony mare, and when Damon caught his gaze, his face dropped with realization. "It's my brother, isn't it."

Kai remained silent.

"You've had a vision,"

Ah, the power of the light to penetrate the darkness of secrecy.

"What was it?" Damon demanded.

Not only to pierce the darkness, but to burn passionately.

Still, Kai remained silent.

"Why you alone? I can send the guard with you. I can come with you."

Kai smiled. "You know that's not wise. You need them here. The Medhir are watching your every move. I am the best huntsman, the best tracker in Aeacasius. I'll find them faster without a whole horde following me."

That, Damon couldn't argue. Kai's reputation as the best huntsman wasn't due to his skill in reading prints and clues.

It was due to his Chronokinesis. In a meditative state, he could retrace the footsteps someone had taken through the forest. Even if their prints had been washed away by rain, the ghost of their passing remained, and he was the only one who could see it.

It did, however, bring into question what exactly this vision of Kai was, and added a seriousness to it that Damon didn't like.

"What did you see, Kai?" He asked.

A vision of his twin dying a horrible death, was something Kai didn't think Damon had to know about. He simply had to trust that he would find him in time.

He simply stared at Damon. And in one of those characteristic rebellions which marvelously left his head attached to his shoulders, he said, "Goodbye Damon."

And he was off, passing the Prince without a second glance.

"Kai! You do not brush me off like that!" Damon stomped after him, then halted. "Kai!"

He ignored him, didn't even glance over his shoulder. And Damon blew air out of his nostrils. "Flames!" He kicked a nearby rock, and his fists lit up, as he planned to send down a blinding beam in front of Kai's horse. Just enough to scare her.

Then he paused, and let the light in his hands draw back.

Although the fires of anger burned in him, his logical mind won out over his emotions. For once. It would attract too much attention. He turned his head to the western tower of the wall, where soldiers of the Medhir were stationed.

Only a few more days of observation, he reminded himself, and then he'd be free of their scrutiny.

And he'd have to spend that time worrying about his twin. He turned his gaze back to Kai, who was now nearly out of sight.

Well, there was nobody else he would trust more to look out for Darius.

Last edited:

Nevetharine

Viking from The Depths
Cbs Christmas GIF by HULU
Merry Christmas, Bees!

Workouts:

✔Fit December D25, 7 sets, 1min rest between sets.
✔EotD (incorporated into my Bowl Meditation)
✔5 Minute Strength. 5.5lb Dumbells. Will change to 8.8lb from tomorrow.
✔Power Squat Challenge D25
✔Dead Hang Challenge D17

To-do List for January:

✴Shadebound
✴Core Challenge

Writing:

🚫200 words
✔300 words
🚫500 words

Diet:

✔20% Done ... le sigh. The cheesecake. And he brought two. One for today, one for tomorrow. 🥴 This just mucked up my whole day. I craved food ALL. DAY. LONG. after eating this.
🚫50% Done
🚫100% Done

⏺In Death: Big Jack - 100% Completed