Progress over perfection

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Pronouns: She/her
:heart: Thank you all for all the well wishes!

APRIL 17: Rest
:v: Leg day everyday, day 17
:v: Zero Hero, day 12, level 2
:x: taekwondo training
:x: Pull workout

Anxiety/stress made me forget about pull workout.

The full intention to go to taekwondo was there, even if I was pretty anxious about it. Except neither of us was in a good mood after an argument the day before. Not a word was spoken on the way there, and the atmosphere was so icy that when we got there I decided not to go in but told him to. I'd wait in the car. No way am I doing self-defence with someone who can't speak to me, when it's already something I get extremely anxious about when there's someone there I feel like I can trust. Instead, we drove back and spent about two hours arguing, but at least things got somewhat fixed. We missed out on a guest lecturer. But I think this was very needed.

APRIL 18
:v: Leg day everyday, day 18
:v: Zero Hero, day 13, level 2 [minus the plank punches, couldn't balance properly for those]
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 12

APRIL 19
:v: Leg day everyday, day 19 [gambled, 40 sec]
:v: Zero Hero, day 14, level 3 [7x20, 5 seconds rest]
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 13
:v: Higher kicks drills + stretches.
  • roundhouse as high as possible, hold high & pulse upwards five times. 6 reps per side.
  • Sidekick as high as possible (good form), hold high, pulse sidewards five times, then upwards five times, 6 reps per side.
  • Alphabet kicks: hold sidekick out high, then write the alphabet as far as you can. Right leg, up to Q. Left leg up to H.
  • Froggy stretch & half froggy stretch

Still planned: a push workout, or maybe a push/pull mix. Can't escape those lat raises. Maybe some more taekwondo based work.

Toe is... going to heal in time. Mainly hurts if I put pressure on the side (ie in side plank) or the top, no longer just for walking. Glad to have figured out I can just about balance on my big toe, so at least I can continue working on my push-ups without putting any pressure on it. It is not the most steady, so couldn't figure out how to do plank punches on it.

I can 100% tell a difference in control between my left & right side. (Which I know, is normal). Gotta work the left a bit more focussed.

Current workout streak: 305

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
@Tileenah, absolutely! We both had a lot of little grudges, most honestly little things that were misunderstandings. It was very needed.

APRIL 20: Ab day
:v: Leg day everyday, day 20
:v: Zero Hero, day 16, level 2 [will not be able to do day 15 for a while, will come back to it once toe is healed if I remember]
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 14
:v: Abs Superset

APRIL 21: Leg day
:v: Leg day everyday, day 21
:v: Zero Hero, day 17, level 3 [had to adjust how I land for butt kicks, but doable]
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 15
:v: Brute workout (8 kg)
:x: Flexibility

Hoping that by next week the wound has healed enough to run on it, without causing more damage. Taekwondo training on Sunday will have to be a bit of a trial to see how it feels (will be wearing foot protectors to hopefully take some of the impact off of the toe).

Collapsed at the final five seconds of that fourth 20 second plank. Honestly, these planks are really difficult for me, so I'll repeat tomorrow. If I finish them all, I'll do day 15. Otherwise, I'll try again the day after. Did the side lunges with the highest seperate weight I had (2 kg on each hand), because I know my form is off there and even at body weight my hips click in side lunges. Legs are definitely shaking after that workout, felt short but effective.

Current workout streak: 307

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
APRIL 22: Rest
:v: Leg day everyday, day 22
:v: Zero Hero, day 18, level 2
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 15
:x: Flexibility practice

APRIL 23: Taekwondo
:v: Leg day everyday, day 23
:v: Zero Hero, day 19, level 2
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 16
:v: Taekwondo training

APRIL 24: Taekwondo + Push
:v: Leg day everyday, day 24
:v: Zero Hero, day 20, level 1
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 17
:v: Taekwondo training

APRIL 25: Run
:v: Leg day everyday, day 25
:v: Zero Hero, day 21, level 2
:v: 50 push-ups challenge, day 18
:v: C25K trainer, W3D2 as a running tester. Didn't go well, but the toe doesn't hurt.
:v: Dani Winks - Front splits routine. Hamstrings are the main deterrent atm.

Taekwondo training has been ups and downs. Still don't have my green belt because of supplier issues. Sunday's training was amazing - varied, skill based kicks that I was not doing too poorly at, got to a pretty high taegeuk and they were going somewhat better than in the past - I finally am getting some of the confusing parts down and that felt great. Spin based kicks & back kicks are going better too. I came back with such a high, such confidence.

Then yesterday was terrible. I was really looking forward to it, after Sunday. I really hoped that our sparring coach was there because I was so excited and confident, and I really thought I could tackle something I was not good at. I really, really wanted to learn. Sparring coach wasn't there only one of the coaches and one of our "help"-coaches, for lack of a better term.

I am fine with hosinsul if I have a partner I trust to correct me, who I am comfortable with, who can take a very soft blow if I do misjudge distance. I know everyone in the club, and I am not opposed to training with them, but for this there is only a handful of people I really can be paired up with. I was already on edge/feeling bad about my performance a little because of some previous feedback with the kicks section. But fine. Hosinsul is a working point for me too, and I was not opposed to working on it at all, especially cause I got to do that with my preferred training partner. And it already was hard work, because I kept loosening my middle blocks to counter, and so not effectively block. Turns out there were other mistakes. Mistakes the coach didn't even bother to point out to me, just told my trainer partner it was okay to hit me with the paddle (not hard - just what the exercise was) if I did that. Didn't even realize that I was doing that thing, nor could I feel it even when I was focussing on it. Which knocked my hosinsul confidence down another peg lower, because I had to focus on so many things, and felt so self conscious that my final blocks & counters were really poor. Communicated that to the coach, who said he'd pair up with me for the next exercise.
Except he didn't. The next exercise was then to apply that hosinsul in a group scenario where you didn't know whether you would be hit, or get to hit, and you might have been hit by multiple people. (basically, walk around - when the coach shouted the paddle color you held, you could hit whoever you chose, who then had to block + counter). Way too much chaos for me. Sat that one out, because I was already feeling overwhelmed and bad about struggling with the basics. When the hogu's came out after the older kids asked for sparring, I just bowed out and sat outside for a while. I really want to get better at sparring, and it kills me to have to stay away. But all sparring at that point would have done is chip away at what little confidence I had left at that point. In the end, my friend told me it was more hosinsul practice and some that I could probably have done.
Sure that the black belt who trained us, and usually does a really good job at helping and understanding my anxiety, has a much lower opinion of me now. He'd be right to. And I feel really guilty too. But I just couldn't.

Still feeling terrible today. Bleh. No training on Wednesday, luckily. Cause honestly I am not feeling good about it right now.

Current workout streak: 311

Last edited:

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
"Motivation is temporary. Discipline is forever."
Just remember that you were picked up on minor mistakes, which means you've got the major things correct - and that's a positive thing. It is disheartening, whatever you do, to learn you have a lot of errors to correct. There are probably some people for whom sparring comes naturally; everyone else has to work really hard at it. Like you're doing. Hosinsul is kind of like sparring in that you don't exactly know how or when someone will attack, it's just in a slightly more controlled environment. I can't say that you'll ever get it. All I can say is that you have to tell yourself that you will. Sometimes, that's the only thing that keeps me going, when I totally screw up. Hope that some day, I'll suddenly get it. And perhaps today is the day that you'll get it. :)

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
I apologize for disappearing there. Needed some time away from things in general - while check in threads are super useful for myself, I do find that I compare myself to my past self sometimes a bit too much. Means there is a bit of updating to do. So, splitting it off into relevant segments in a bit.

A belated thank you for all the hugs, @CODawn @Tileenah @JCU @Mianevem. And thank you @TopNotch for the advice/encouragement, you've really been invaluable with your advice on all of my taekwondo troubles! Can't thank you enough. One day it will start clicking.

Programs
Finished off Zero Hero (though not always highest level), Leg day everyday. Got thrown about a bit with the 50 push ups and started doing them with poor form, so starting tomorrow I'm restarting from a bit earlier and focussing on proper form. May add in a program for the rest of May, but I think that would be overdoing it with the amount of running I am not entirely used to yet.

Taekwondo
I ended up speaking about it with the guy who was the coach that day, and there were some very good comments/possible resolutions there. Like slowing down my training (in terms of progression) a bit until I can get my confidence and not shut down when years down the line it comes to my first dan exam in a hall will a lot of people. But also to keep communicating about what is going wrong with them when things get overwhelming, so they would know how to help me and how they could possibly help me through this in general. And maybe getting some earbuds that filter some sound, so large classes get less overwhelming and I can focus better, thinking of getting a pair of the fancier 'loop' ones. to try.
No taekwondo for two weeks, while my friend is on a well deserved vacation. Last training I did get to was a proper sparring training. Pushed my boundaries, and I feel like I actually made a bit more progress. The gears are a little bit more in motion. As there's no training, I'm going to work on a few of the poomsae issues I've been working on squashing. Such as trying to get my poomsae a lot more relaxed, be more consistent with my stances, and work on my side kicks. I also need to work some on timing, because I tend to go through them too quickly. As a little treat to myself, I'm relearning some of the dan grade poomsae to spice up my practice a little and paying very close attention to the movements.

Running
After feeling a little better, I decided to tackle a new running program because I have listened to the early 5K trainer episodes 4-5 times now. I'll pick up on them later. Trying the Nike Run Club 5K training plan. 5 days a week, so I am still adjusting from usually only running 2-3 times a week, or like the last month none at all. So far it's been going great! Loving the variation in the runs, going from speed runs, to recovery runs, and long runs. I don't entirely have the efforts down well yet, and the recovery runs sometimes from week to the next are sometimes a bit longer than the long run preceeding it. But now the 15 minute runs aren't so terrible, and the mile pace runs can be somewhat... humbling when you overestimate your capabilities and have to struggle through your two minute mile pace interval.

I am taking my due
dilligence to avoid injuring myself/overworking it. Next week feels like a bit of a difficult jump up (15 min long run W2, 25 min long run W3, and a 2 mile "recovery" run today technically) so I decided to spread this one week out into two weeks and add in two intermediate recovery runs.

I'm gonna spare you all the specifics. Just update you with Monday's achievements/progress:

MON, MAY 8: Push day
:v: PPL: Push B. 8 kg dumbbells
:v: Lower Ab challenge, day 8
:v: YWA: Feel Good Flow
:v: Poomsae training. Keumgang refresh, ran 4, 5 & Koryo super slow, focussing on the side kick segments especially.

Current workout streak: 325

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Congrats on stuff done!
With poomsae and timing, just remember that this is all about performance, what looks pretty. But also what is effective. So when there is (for example) a block followed by a punch, it can be very tempting to go block...punch, but if you were actually fighting, they would be quickly on top of each other, block and then immediately punch. And complete all movements before going onto the next one. Sure, things have to flow, but they also have to be precise. I recommend you think about what each move is about, what it's actually doing, and judge the timing from that.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you! @CODawn @TopNotch @Fremen @Froud (good to see you again!) @PetiteSheWolf @Tileenah @JCU

TUE, MAY 9: Run + Flexibility
:v: 1 km recovery run
:v: Lower Ab challenge, day 9
:v: YWA: Morning Yoga Flow
:v: Hamstring Mobility

WED MAY 10: Run + Pull
:v: Fartlek run (5 min warm up, 2 x 1:30 10K pace, 3 x 1:00 5K pace, 4 x 30 s Mile pace, 5 x 15s best/"Celebration pace" as they call it - all with an equal time of recovery pace in between)
:v: Lower Ab challenge, day10
:v: YWA: Yoga for Anxiety & Stress
:v: Home upperbody Tone Workout (8 kg)

That fartlek definitely was a bit too much in one go for now - had to walk rather than run some of the recovery intervals. Fun to do for sure, but it was just a bit too much continuous running for now. Though especially the slower intervals - they feel harder on my body than fast running. Need to strengthen up the knee a bit though - it is acting up. No poomsae today - too bummed about the fact that normally I'd get to go to taekwondo to practice.

Current workout streak: 327

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
THU MAY 11: Rest
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 1 [again]
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 11
:v: Poomsae: Taebaek practice

FRI MAY 12: Run + Legs
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 2
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 12
:v: Poomsae practice
:v: Nike Run Club: First Fartlek Run (total distance: 2.28 km, 17 minutes) in the rain
:v: Runner Strength: Lowerbody
:v: Lower body tendon strength

Switched out my full rest day to Thursday this week, as after the two back-to-back runs, I felt like I needed it.

With adapting this week a little, I didn't have much guidance on which run to do today. I was originally planning for a 15 minute recovery, but then impulsively switched to another Fartlek: shorter intervals to hopefully get a better base. Seven minutes of warm up, bit of stretching and only a total of ten minutes of Fartlek rather than 19 minutes. Fartlek runs definitely are hard for me, and I do think I prefer normal interval runs. But at the same time it is so rewarding to pull tired legs into a quicker pace for those final intervals, for that tiny brief moment where the legs feel fresher again because the different pace seems to work different muscles and the slow recovery pace seems a lot harder on my calves than my faster paces. It started raining past my warm up, but I am learning to lean into that. It helped a lot to cool me down, too.

Saturday is a rest day with some ab work, then Sunday the long run (originally a recovery run) that made me decide to split the week: a 2 mile/3.2 km run.

Current workout streak: 329.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT MAY 13: Flexibility + Abs
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 3
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 13
:v: Poomsae practice (1-5)
:v: Dani Winks front splits routine
:v: Overall stretching where it felt tight - didn't keep much track
:v: Ultimate abs, level 1

SUN MAY 14: Long run
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 3
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 14
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 1
:v: 3.2 km/2 mile run.
gfV5SCe.jpg

Have been feeling like the Dani Winks front splits routine doesn't really help much for my main problem area: hamstrings. Switching over to the blogilates 30 day program because there is a bit more hamstring stretching in those. Once I get to a workable form for front split, I might revisit that one to get it deeper.

The dreaded long run has arrived, on a pretty warm day too. Because of mother's day and it being a nice Sunday overall (and I slept in too late, that one's on me), there were so many people out. I couldn't go 100m without running into the next group of bikes, or people out for a walk. I did have a few seconds of walking at the end in between to mitigate a side stitch, and stopping for two crossings. (note: plan route better next time). Slow, a bit disappointed with my overall pace especially towards the end. But I made it.

Current workout streak: 331

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Seems pretty normal to me that your timing was slow if there were many people and you had to stop or avoid them through your run... Good job on seeing it through! :worried:
Thank you! Admittedly, I didn't have to stop much for them, just had a few bits where I had to go along the other side of the pathway. 3.2 km is not a lot, but my previous "long" runs were closer to 1.6 to 2 km. I think it was mainly that?

MON MAY 15: Push (+ taekwondo)
:v: Poomsae practice (Koryo - Taebaek, taegeuk 6-7)
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 15
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 2
:v: Kanary, 1 set
:v: Hwarangsam, kicking mobility routine (instagram)

Still need to do a push work out, probably later to the day, may skip it today.

Kicks weren't feeling quite right, so I decided to cut that early and do some mobility work instead, as a bit of a substitute for taekwondo practice

Current workout streak: 332

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
TUE MAY 16
:v: Poomsae practice - focussing on all the side kicks
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 16
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 4
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 3

WED MAY 17: Upper body
:v:/:x: Fartlek run (1 min 5K pace, 2 min recovery pace, meant to be 7 reps, did 3)
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 17
:v: Cultivator workout, level 1 6 kg
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 4
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 4

Skipped my run on Tuesday, and had to cut this one short. Got around halfway through the run and just couldn't continue on. left hamstring felt extremely tight (overstretching, maybe? Decided to skip today and see), and my energy levels were just too low. Every single step was pulling from deep to just keep turning over my legs. Which is fine - I know why and usually I would have just skipped the entire week, so honestly I am just glad I got some running done. Now I know I need to skip at least the second & third day.

Not sure whether I should be repeating the actual W3 of the NRC 5K plan next week, or just continue on to W4. I am not too bothered to getting to 5K quickly, I want to get to 5K sustainably.

Current workout streak: 334

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
THU, May 18: Abs
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 18
:v: MadFit 20 min Total Core/Ab Workout
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 5
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 5
:v: Poomsae practice, focussing on origins of all movements and overall transitions

FRI, May 19: Run + Legs
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 19
:v: NRC, 3, 2, 1 Go! (Interval run, 5 min Warm up, 3 min 10K pace, 2 min 5K pace, 1 min mile pace, 30 sec Best pace, 1 min recovery between each)
:v: The Running channel: Strength training for runners
:x: Poomsae practice

Still to do:
- Splits practice
- Push-up challenge

Ended up picking a core workout that was slightly too easy for me - didn't really feel the burn at all. Which is fine - maybe that means that my core strength is starting to improve a bit. Not sure what to do for Leg day - will see what I feel like later today.

Today's run was so. much. fun. I hadn't exactly planned a run for today, beyond that I wanted to do some speed work. With splitting the week into two, I'd already done/tried the Nike Run Club scheduled run. Always feels a lot more difficult to actually get out of the house if I don't "have" to. This did allow me to pick up a shorter run so I could try to see whether my leg felt better, and it did! Messed up the 5K pace and way oversped it at the start, so I had to take a few steps of walking in there, cause I can't quite keep up a 5 min pace for two minutes. But then for the mile and Best intervals I just ran like my legs wanted to run, and it was amazing. Hard work for my upper legs, but it felt like flying.

TimePace categoryGoal Pace (/km)Actual Pace (/km)
5:00Warm up/7'18"
3:0010K6'54"6'37"
2:005K6'36"6'16"
1:00Mile6'13"5'16"
0:30Best/4'40"

Current workout streak: 336

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT MAY 20: Flexibility/rest
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 20
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 6
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 6

SUN MAY 21: Long Run
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 21
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 7
:v: 25 min long run - 7'28"/km pace - 3.35 km
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 7

MON MAY 22: Push
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 22
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 8
:v: PPL: Push A, 8 kg
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 8

I love the feeling of things just clicking. Finally managing to get my toes pulled up for front kicks. And it takes a whole lot of thought and searching to find the right foot position. But it is starting to click somewhat.
Happy ish with the long run - it is definitely at the end of my capacity but slowly getting there.

Current workout streak: 339

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
@Tileenah Thank you :heartsit:

TUE MAY 23: Run + Flexibility
:v: Lower Abs Challenge, day 23
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 9
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 9
:v: NRC || Rhythm & Groove [5 min warmup, 30 sec mile, 4x 30 sec 5K, 3 min 10k, 4x 30 sec 5K, 30 sec mile; 30 sec walking recovery between all intervals]
:x: Flexibility routine

Definitely still finding my 5K pace - I always want to go too fast during shorter speed run intervals, and I am finding my fitbit just updates my pace way too slowly for me to reliably use it for these shorter intervals. However, at this point, I am having fun and i think in time when it comes to longer intervals at 5K pace, I think I'll naturally be able to flow into a better pace once I get there. For now, I think I'd rather run the intervals too fast if I can complete them like that than go too slow.
Finally bought myself a (cheap-ish) running belt so I can run in my running shorts without worrying about my phone/keys. Somehow, none of the running shorts I like have pockets that are comfortable/appropriate. Went with a flashy/bright pink because my general running gear is mainly black, and I wanted to have at least one thing to improve visibility for later runs. Excited to take it out on my 1 mile recovery run Wednesday. I know its silly - but the NRC plan definitely has me looking forward to the runs a lot more than the previous always the same plans.

Got a bit too late for the rest of my flexibility routine, but am going to try that tomorrow morning, see if I can throw around my schedule a bit because I keep doing this and forgetting. Also need to re-engineer a version that fits in better with the splits practice.

Current workout streak: 340

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
THU MAY 25: Run + Abs
:x: Lower Abs Challenge, day 25
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 11
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 11
:v: Caroline Girvan || 15 min Dumbell Abs Workout (8 kg) - more of a shoulder workout too be honest, that was the only part that really felt like it was working, holding up the dumbbell that high for all of the exercises.
:v: Recovery Run: 1 mile, 10:37 min

FRI MAY 25: Run + Leg day
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 11
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 12
:v: Speed Run
:v: Tyr Workout, 8 kg. Changed to four sets of 10, skipped the lunges cause my legs weren't feeling super great

Speed run consisted of:
  • 5 min warm up
  • 3x (2 min 5K, 1 min Mile, 2 x 15 sec Best/Celebration)1 min
With a 1 min recovery for 5K, 30 sec recovery for shorter intervals. 2 min between sets. Super fun to do.

Stopping with the Lower Abs challenge. I just don't enjoy the leg raises as much - every time I do a set I just feel like a see-saw. If we do leg raises in training, it is a partner exercise and we hold onto the legs of the person standing over us (who pushes our legs down every time they come up, and we have to stop them from hitting the ground on the way down. So when I do those, even the 20 leg raises are not that challenging, and I tend to get bored. If I don't do them holding onto something to fall down I scoot forward a good few inches, and that is really annoying. I just can't motivate myself to really do them, anymore.

Current workout streak: 343

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT MAY 26: Flexibility
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 12
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 13
:x: Extra flexibility work

SUN MAY 27: Long Run
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 13
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 14
:v: Box Splits stretching routine (Ginger Ninja Trickster on YT)
:v: 30 minute run, cut short bcs pretty much everything seemed to have gone against this run (chafing, NRC app crashing, constant cyclists, very loose gravel underfoot, a steep hill in my warm up segment, one of my earbuds that gave out on me). Pretty much walk/ran this one

MON MAY 28: Taekwondo (!)
:v: PPL: Push (Lateral Raises, alternate push ups, shoulder press)
:v: Taekwondo practice
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 15
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 14

Really looking forward to getting to train again, but its been a really busy day so far. We had some visitors, including two very rambunctious and loud children, and that completely drained my social battery on top of trying to get every task of the day done before they would arrive because afterwards I'd have next to no time before I have to get ready to leave for taekwondo.

Anxiety is pretty high though; not been able to go to training for almost a month now and even though I ended up doing a lot more running I'm significatly worried about having lost quite a bit of my condition. And messing up things and being overwhelmed, considering how last few sessions were. And strangely worried about my first class where I actually get to wear my green belt, and maybe not being able to perform up to the level I should be for green.

EDIT: Class was perfectly fine & like usual, i was anxious over nothing. A smaller group, and I got to do the partner work with my usual training partner. Loads of flexibility work (during the breaks I incorporated the Blogilates stretches), a few kicking drills with some very unexpected praise on my high kicks, and then running through poomsae. All in all, a perfect class back, to be honest.

Current workout streak: 346

Last edited:

Gandhalfit

Druid from TLV
Pronouns: You there
"Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior. Vetinari/Pratchett"
I was at a bjj workshop a few years ago and one of the participants was a 50-ish man and he brought his 10 yo kid with him. They were both wearing yellow belts which I thought was weird but after a couple of hours we talked a bit and I asked him if he started training to be around his kid more. He said he actually gained his black belt over 20 years before but stopped training so he felt that his real level was yellow (which in bjj takes a few years to get to if I'm not mistaken).
Perhaps you are concerned but it's understandable that you won't be at your top shape but you have earned a green belt and you just need to find your pace again.
It'll be alright.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
A very, very belated thank you. @Gandhalfit @Tileenah @JCU

TUE MAY 29: Run
:v: Speed run: 5 x 4 min @ 5K pace
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits, day 15
:x: Flexibility Training
:x: Push up challenge

WED MAY 31: Push Day
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits
:v: Poomsae training
:v: PPL: Push A @ 8 kg

THU JUNE 01: Ab Day

:v: 25 min on eliptical, instead of recovery run
:x: Ab workout
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 15
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 1

FRI JUNE 02: Leg Day + Run
:v: NRC Tempo Run, 5 min Warm up, some stretching, then 12 min slower & 11 min faster, try covering same distance. Covered just under 4 km.
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 2
Leg day postponed to Sat.
SAT JUNE 03: Bleh
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 3
:v: Sculpted Glutes Workout

SUN JUNE 04: Long Run
:v: 5K attempt. Run Walked most, Barely made it 2K before stopping for a walk element. Pushed on with walking breaks, but bad experience.
:x: Blogilates 30 day splits
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 4

MON JUNE 05: Push Day + Taekwondo
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 4+5
:v: Blogilates 30 day splits (stretches covered in the stretching part of taekwondo class)
:v: Stretching, Total Lower Body stretch (ended up being too light/not enough stretch)

TUE JUNE 06: Speed Run + Flexibility
:v: NRC 5K Trainer, W2 || On The Move
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 6
:x: Flexibility training (felt a little like pushing with the Blogilates stretching already - postponing until tomorrow.)

Catching up a bit. Not keeping up well with the push up challenge - it seems like I absolutely need to be reminded of it (ie, by filling in the log) to actually remember to do it. Following up with an actual May update/what went wrong, June plans post in the morning. More (aka, prob too much) details in that one just to get my thoughts and plans on one page. It feels more real when it is actually written out and something to hold myself accountable to.

Current workout streak: 354

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
MAY ROUNDUP
I had a few goals for myself for May:

:v: Consistency in running
I might have skipped a few runs, but overall I did do my runs as scheduled. And I am happy with that. Not quite extremely happy with my progress - I am finding it extremely difficult to push past that mental block that seems to surround my longer long runs. The 30 minute run, or even just the a loose 20 minute ("if it feels right I'll try 5K") run both were twarthed by mentally blocking and thinking I couldn't do it. And not having the resiliency to actually stop. Barely made it 15 minutes last long run before I couldn't fight my brain anymore. Especially when Sunday mornings are so busy and I get extremely self conscious when I run.
Really, what is it with old men thinking it is okay to shout encouragements at me, as if I deserve the praise just for getting out there because I am on the higher end of healthy weight, but used to weigh around 15 kg more and my legs still look like that. But the skinny girl that passed a minute or so later at a quicker pace, didn't need those same encouragements? Hasn't been the first run where that happened, and honestly it comes across so condescending/patronizing.

So, I am going back in the program to the point where I felt comfortable with the long runs (in this case, W2). And I am going to build my confidence back up. And try to find a different, less crowded time/place for my long runs. Possibly changing my schedule to Saturdays. But from July on out taekwondo practice is going to be on a different schedule, so I'll have to tinker with it either way.

:v:/:x: Taekwondo. Incorporate more practice outside of taekwondo class.
On the one side, this was a success. I got a lot more poomsae training done than the previous months. Still want to get into the groove of doing them every day. But definite progress done.

On the other side, didn't get around to doing more sparring & hosinsul, like was the goal. According to my training partner, my back kicks and overal reaction speed did improve. [I am historically bad at thinking I'm ok at anything, so this is not something I can trust myself on]. So I think maybe the running, and overall bit of practice in between, maybe has had some secondary benefits as well.

:v: Consistently do PPL plan
Overall, succes! Need to set up a Push workout I actually enjoy & can do (my dumbbells are a bit too long/broad for some exercises).

:x: Yoga a few times a week
Yeah, this one was a definite no. I keep going to bed too late to still have time for my whole evening routine.

JUNE PLANS
Taekwondo

Possibly another exam period coming up for next belt at the end of June. Instructor was a little unclear whether this exam period is only meant as a bit of a catch up for those who weren't able to show up the previous test or not. So may not actually be meant for me. If it is, I think I'll leave it up to the other green belts and see whether they want to test. I know, each is on their own journey, but it would just be nice to stick with the people who I have been co-testing with for the two tests.

I don't know how inclined I am to test, though. I have just barely actually got my belt after a few months. So I'd feel a bit guilty for just replacing it already. One of the instructors told me a little bit ago that he thought it would probably be better for me to aim at getting to black belt in 4-5 years and maybe take things a bit slow. Getting used to sparring and noise and hosinsul, and getting over the overwhelm of it all is difficult for me, and he thought that that would give me time to work on it. I have been consciously trying to push myself to work on it. With the noise, I've specifically gotten noise-cancelling earbuds for elements where the too much noise would overwhelm me. Still have to properly try them for more than 15 minutes, because the vacation got in the way. But I am trying.
If I were to test at the end of June, Blue-green would get me to 5th Kup, or halfway to black in a year and a half. Yellow to blue-green in a year. Though grading should slow down once I get to the higher belts. Maybe I should take more time now. I don't know. I've looked at what we should be able to do, and I think I got that.

EDIT: Test is only really for catch up. Which is a relief in its own way.

Whichever way it goes, I want to work on Hosinsul & sparring more this month. Nothing wrong with getting ready to test and keeping those elements in my training, without actually testing. Also want to keep these in my regular training, so I get used to them.
I also have a specific goal of improving my yop chagi/side kick for poomsae. And just getting the movements a lot more smooth.

Running
Want to stick to the plans more this time around, actually do one of the recovery runs a week. So 4x a week. Also focus on working some more stretching/recovery into my post-run routine.

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
Thank you @Gandhalfit @JCU @Tileenah @CODawn :thanks:

WED JUNE 07: Pull day
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 7
:v: PPL: Pull B 3 set at lower end, but 10 kg dumbells
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 8

THU JUNE 08: Abs day + Run
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 8
:v: Military Abs, level 1
:v: NRC 5K trainer, W2: 12 min recovery run (1.7 km total)
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 9

FRI JUNE 09: Leg day + Run
:v: NRC 5K trainer, W2: Faster Fun [intervals of 2, 1.5, 1, 0.5 min at mile pace & finally best pace, interspersed by 30 sec rest, 30 sec 10k pace, 30 sec rest]
:v: PPL: Legs B, 6 kg but 3 sets for each exercise
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 10
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 9

Oh boy, it's heating up lately! Gonna need to start running a bit earlier. So fun, but very warm. Sticking a bit better to my target paces, but in these temps 30 seconds is definiely not recovery enough after 2 minutes at mile pace. Feels like this time it was much more doable than the last time I ran this run.

Cautiously going back to weight training for legs. So far so good. Trying either full reps & sets next, or 8 kg dumbbells.

The moment I got down to the floor to my push ups or the bridges, the cat decided he needed to be the star and lay underneath me or in general in the way. It's almost midnight already - I'll do those tomorrow. Cat cuddles and affection for now.

Current workout streak: 357

Last edited:

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SAT JUNE 10: Flexibility
:v: 50 push up challenge, day 10
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 9 + 10
:v: Full Body Stretching Routine | W1 Taekwondo

Quiet & calm day. Spent some reading, and overall just stuff that wouldn't make me sweat.
Focused on building on my base work for my forms for training today. Though I still need to run through the higher poomsae before practice tomorrow. Snuck in my push ups & bridges while the cat was asleep in the slightly colder hallway, so he wouldn't be inclined to be in the way.

Current workout streak: 358

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
SUN JUNE 11: Taekwondo
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 11
:x: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 11
:x: Long Run
Figured with the heat, we'd probably have a calmer taekwondo class. I couldn't have been more wrong! Super intense, and a little difficult to keep up with at times. But definitely a fun training. A lot more comfortable, because it was a smaller group. Originally I intended to go on a long run (15 minutes) afterwards, but by the time I was home it was 31 °C and after such an intense taekwondo training, I decided that the warm up running would have to have been enough for today. On the plus side I was so wiped out after that training that I fell asleep before eleven. I'd fully intended to do my challenges after reading, but considering I was nodding off while reading, opted not too. Good night's sleep.

:tired:

MON JUNE 12: Pull
:x: 50 push up challenge, day 10 (why on earth do I keep forgetting about this one?)
:v: Epic Glutes Challenge, day 11 + 12
:v: Pull workout: 8 kg, middle of the road reps

Planning an in-between week for running this week. Program W3 is a hard ramp up from W2, so I am giving myself a week to bridge that for now. Hopefully I'll be able to go running early tomorrow.
Did day 21 of the PPL program instead of A/B today, just for some variety in the workouts. Took some form checks, and I need to go down weight for my lat raises. At 6kg my form seems to be a lot better than 8 kg, so I'll stick to 6 kg for those until those start to feel easier (do lat raises ever feel easy?), maybe adding in a set or so to the workouts at 8 kgs to build some of the strength needed to eventually get to a good form.

Current workout streak: 360

TopNotch

Ranger from Australia
Really, what is it with old men thinking it is okay to shout encouragements at me, as if I deserve the praise just for getting out there because I am on the higher end of healthy weight, but used to weigh around 15 kg more and my legs still look like that. But the skinny girl that passed a minute or so later at a quicker pace, didn't need those same encouragements? Hasn't been the first run where that happened, and honestly it comes across so condescending/patronizing.
I was (for some unknown reason) mulling over this comment of yours last night. I think the answer is that anyone who is larger/older/slower/whatever is someone who is relatable. Most of us don't have 'perfect' figures. When we see those people, we think, well, of course they can do that! But when we see someone who isn't like that, I think perhaps we see a bit of ourselves, and when we encourage that person, in a way we are encouraging ourselves. A case of: If she/he can do it at that weight/age/fitness level, then so can I. So don't think of it as condescending or patronising. That skinny girl was probably wishing that someone would compliment her effort - she's worked so hard, has a great figure, good speed, etc, but nobody seems to notice.
Yesterday, I saw a bloke, probably about twice my weight, running. He was slow but not plodding, and he wasn't puffing like a steam train (unlike me), and he just kept going. I watched him with admiration (and possibly a trace of envy). And yeah, I possibly may have commended him because I could relate to him (being a slow runner).
Well, that's my take on it. :)

SkorpionUK

Sorceress from Germany
"Building good habits"
@TopNotch I was once told by another attendee of a Hot Yoga class that they thought "if she can do it, what's my excuse?". I think they meant it in the way you say, but honestly, as the fattest person BY FAR in every class, it didn't quite land cleanly. It's very hard to word that without putting the recipient down, even subtly. I only failed to react badly because I had, indeed, been working on a) showing up, b) staying in class, and c) trying my best, whatever that looked like that day, i.e. pretty much the quality they complimented me on (never giving up).

I am one of the not-too-many people in the world who did the Bikram 30-Day Challenge, although I never did quite get my t-shirt for that. Hmph.

BetaCorvi

Mage from Belgium
I was (for some unknown reason) mulling over this comment of yours last night. I think the answer is that anyone who is larger/older/slower/whatever is someone who is relatable. Most of us don't have 'perfect' figures. When we see those people, we think, well, of course they can do that! But when we see someone who isn't like that, I think perhaps we see a bit of ourselves, and when we encourage that person, in a way we are encouraging ourselves. A case of: If she/he can do it at that weight/age/fitness level, then so can I. So don't think of it as condescending or patronising. That skinny girl was probably wishing that someone would compliment her effort - she's worked so hard, has a great figure, good speed, etc, but nobody seems to notice.
Yesterday, I saw a bloke, probably about twice my weight, running. He was slow but not plodding, and he wasn't puffing like a steam train (unlike me), and he just kept going. I watched him with admiration (and possibly a trace of envy). And yeah, I possibly may have commended him because I could relate to him (being a slow runner).
Well, that's my take on it. :)
It's good to read the other side of that situation. And I do get where you are coming from, they definitely don't mean to be condescending/patronizing. But just because it isn't intended that way, it is still in how it feels to be receiving it. I just wish they thought that, or said that to themselves, rather than to me. I wish they encouraged the skinnier, fast kid zooming by, instead of me. Make their day a little.

It's just also not fun to be that person, that "well if they can do it, so can I". To always be seen as just that - to be commended because you don't fit in. Because you're doing something that society doesn't think fits with someone your size. To be the one who stands out like a sore thumb because you are too big, or too slow. The person who should somehow be praised because I don't look like I fit.

In Sunday's taekwondo class, one of my coaches was talking about another club he'd been to. To say that he was not impressed by their dan holders' poomsae performance, he mentioned "that they were about at Laura's level". He didn't mean to hurt me by saying that, he probably in some way meant it as a positive view of how I do my poomsae for my belt. But at the same time he used me to be negative about them. At the same time, I was his negative, not-good-enough yard stick. And that crushed my overall confidence for the poomsae section for that day. I already have issues being confident with things I feel I may be a little bit okay at. A little bit like, @SkorpionUK said. That situation hit really close to home. And you're not really in that situation allowed to react negatively - because you are supposed to be happy with the compliment. But as Skorpion said - it subtly putting the recipient down.

It already takes so so much out of me to show up for a long run in those shorts, knowing I am slow at longer distances, knowing I look ridiculous in them slowly jogging by with my tomato-red face. Already being out there is making me really vulnerable. It is not fun to be a negative yardstick. And all the comments do is make it harder for me to go out there next long run/recovery run.

Last edited: