Cycling: 2 rides | 51km

Walking: 38 walks | 43.5km

Workouts: 17 workouts | 7 hours 21 min

Yoga: 37 sessions | 15 hours 49 minutes

Meditation: 30 sessions, 5 hours 11 minutes

Breathwork: 11 sessions, 1 hours 34 minutes

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Hey everyone, I just want to leave a note here to let you know that I won't be around here for a while, as I've decided to take a break from the internet.

I've been doing a bunch of month-long personal challenges this year: I quit caffeine, started meditating, converted to cold showers, etc... But the challenge that had the biggest impact for me was quitting social media. It wasn't until I deleted my Facebook/Instagram/Strava accounts that I realised how much time I used to spend scrolling through posts made by people I didn't even know anymore. I gained a lot of time back, and became much more productive with my days.

The next logical step for me is to reduce the amount of time I spend online. As a freelancer, I obviously can't avoid it completely, but since I spend so much time in front of a screen for my job, my intention is to stay offline as much as possible outside of work. Since quitting social media, I've been paying more attention to how I spend my time - and all too often that involves a screen. So I'm taking some time out for myself, to focus on the things I haven't had time for. I'm going to get back into art and photography. I'm going to spend more time outside, do some volunteer work, try some new sports and get back into some old ones. I'm going to be more present in my own life and start doing the things I always talked about doing but never made the time for. I want to see how much I can achieve in what's left of the year.

So I'm taking a break from the online world. I don't really know how long it will be for - the plan is from June until the end of 2023, but I'll see what happens. I'll be back at some point in the future, but until then, I hope everyone's training goes well, and that you all stay happy and healthy!

Last edited:

oneironaut

Alchemist from Astral Sea
"Are you dreaming?"
So I'm taking a break from the online world. I don't really know how long it will be for - the plan is from June until the end of 2023, but I'll see what happens. I'll be back at some point in the future, but until then, I hope everyone's training goes well, and that you all stay happy and healthy!
Admire your decision and it prompts me to do some self reflection.

Just wanted to say thanks; you have been a huge direct inspiration for a long time with your stoic consistency with running and IRONBORN. I used to see your log and think maybe I'll reach something resembling your routine eventually and as I type this I've completely lost count on how many times I've done IRONBORN and I just ran my first marathon distance ever.

Hope you are able to find new and deeper meaning in life by casting off the less intentional activities that social media and internet insidiously insert into our routines.

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Thanks everyone! I haven't had a chance to catch up on everyone's threads yet, but I hope you're all doing well!

My break was interesting - things did not go as expected. There were a lot of things I wanted to do this year, but then in July I fell out of a handstand and messed up my shoulder, so those plans are still on hold. Aside from my injury, I've also had a few colds and other viruses in the past couple of months, so I'm pretty out of shape at the moment.

I don't mind all of the setbacks, though - what I enjoy most about training is the process. There's something really satisfying about seeing the gradual improvements - from the slight increases in running pace to the extra weight I'm able to lift - so it's nice to be something of a beginner again. I had to take a few months off from most physical activity, so I'm currently easing my way back into things with couch to 5k, as well as working my way through the lower level Darebee programs.

Despite sustaining an injury, it was a good break, and I think reducing my internet time was the reset that I needed. I had a lot more time for reading (lots of non-fiction, as well as a bunch of the unread books I've had sitting on my shelf for years), I got back into Duolingo (I signed up years ago but only used it for a couple of days - now I'm on a 182 day streak), and I recently started archery again (I can't shoot much as I need to go easy on my shoulder, but a little is better than nothing). I also had plenty of time for reflecting on where I'm at in life and for making future plans, so I have plenty of goals for next year.

P.S. I'm back a bit earlier than intended - I couldn't miss a snow fight!

:snowball::snowball::snowball:

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Admire your decision and it prompts me to do some self reflection.

Just wanted to say thanks; you have been a huge direct inspiration for a long time with your stoic consistency with running and IRONBORN. I used to see your log and think maybe I'll reach something resembling your routine eventually and as I type this I've completely lost count on how many times I've done IRONBORN and I just ran my first marathon distance ever.

Hope you are able to find new and deeper meaning in life by casting off the less intentional activities that social media and internet insidiously insert into our routines.

@oneironaut congrats on your run! That's an impressive distance!

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Thanks everyone, it's good to be back!

I'm currently doing Foundation Light and Fit December, though I had a bit of a slow week due to a stomach virus.

Monday 18th
Running: Couch to 5k Week 8
Fit December: Day 17 & 18
Foundation Light: Day 21 and 22
Walking: 1.7km
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 18

Tuesday 19th
Yoga: Yoga With Kassandra - Gentle Seated Yoga

Wednesday 20th
Walking: 1.7km (twice)
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 20

Thursday 21st
Walking: 1.1km, 1.9km
Yoga: Yoga With Bird - Yoga For Sore Muscles

Friday 22nd
Fit December: Day 19
r/fitness shoulder flexibility: Week 1
Walking: 1.7km (twice)
Yoga: Yoga With Kassandra - Gentle Seated Yoga

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Monday 25th December
Walking: 4km
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 24

It was a very wet and stormy Christmas (we had about 80mm of rain across Christmas Eve and Christmas Day). I managed to fit a walk in, although my stroll turned into a power walk in the second half because a storm started rolling in very quickly. I love walking in that weather, though - it was quite atmospheric with the sky growing dark and lightning on the horizon.

Tuesday 26th December
Running - Couch to 5k Week 8
Fit December: Day 23 & 24
Foam rolling
Yoga: 15 minute Gentle Yoga Flow

Wednesday 27th December
Fit December: Day 25
Foundation Light: Day 25 & 26
Walking: 1.1km, 2.4km, 2km
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 27
Archery

Thursday 28th December
Running - Couch to 5k Week 8
Fit December: Day 26 & 27
Foundation Light: Day 27
Walking: 1.6km
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 28

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
@TopNotch agreed! Hopefully the summer stays wet and mild - I'd be happy to skip over summer weather altogether!

Friday 29th December
Cycling - 6.3km - I want to get back into cycling in 2024, so I dusted off my bike and took it for a short test ride. It reminded me that I'd stopped riding because I needed to replace my rear brake. (At least my route wasn't very hilly, and the front brake was still functional).
Fit December: Day 28
Foundation Light: Day 28 & 29
Walking: 1.7km, 1km
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 29
Archery

Saturday 30th December
Fit December: Day 26
Foundation Light: Day 30
Yoga: YWA Wonder Day 30

Sunday 31st December
Fit December: Day 30 & 31
Foam rolling
Yoga: YWK - Yin Yoga & Affirmations for Health

Not an ideal end to the year - I came down with something a couple of days after Christmas. I've tested negative for covid and nobody else seems to have caught it, so I'm thinking it might be a sinus infection.

Last edited:

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
2023 recap
Running - 165 runs, 934km
Cycling - 36 rides, 772km
Walking - 579 walks, 1048km
Strength training - 328 workouts
Yoga - 483 sessions
Meditation - 364 sessions
Breathwork - 178 sessions
Vert - 38,367m
Steps - 4,439,564

Pretty happy with how the year went, all things considered. I did a lot less than planned due to various injuries and illnesses, but I feel like things are on the right track.

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia
Last edited:

Silent Wolf

Ranger from Australia